Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
felicity_gw

Veronica/Sedum Color Combination?

felicity
18 years ago

I have a perennial bed that I am designing, and I need some input as to flower colors. I want to use Autumn Joy Sedum, and a pink veronica. The most readily available pink veronica I can locate is Red Fox, but I have never grown it, and I am afraid the colors would clash horribly. It's hard to tell from the pictures. Has anyone seen this combo?

Thanks,

Felicity

Comments (7)

• driftshield
    18 years ago

Hi, If you have ever wanted to make money from home, and we all have, I have stumbled upon an opportunity unlike any other. After signing up for this opportunity I have been making an average of $500 a week. This actually works!

Go check it out at

http://www.thesurveymasters.com

There is nothing to lose, trust me, it's worth your time.

• mylu
    18 years ago

Oh Spike where are you/??

• DaisyLover
    18 years ago

oh my...did we just have a commercial break?? :)

anyways...Felicity I have both of those plants and never noticed a clash before, but mine aren't right beside each other either and my flowerbeds are a riot of color. If I remember correctly the Red Fox is more toward the rose red than the pink. And the Autumn Joy starts light or bright pink, turns salmon and ends as a rosy-russet color. So...somewhere along the line you might feel the colors clash. Were you wanting these two because they are both red but one with spike-flowers and one with flat, plate-like flowers?

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

Felicity, I don't think there would be a clash, however here my veronica blooms and is gone pretty much before my sedum.

• felicity
    Original Author
    18 years ago

DaisyLover, you are exactly right, I need to introduce some pinks and blues into a garden with too much yellow. The apricot color of the AJ flowers, with the blueish foliage will go well, but I need a spiky pink to blend. Thanks everyone for your input! I am paranoid about blue pink/orange pink clashes!

• DaisyLover
    18 years ago

If you are worried about the pink clash and since the Autumn Joy cycles through a whole range of color why not stay away from anything with a pink or rose bloom? Why not use deep violet-blues or purples and deep burgundy if you feel a need for more from the red family?

For example, the Salvia x superba 'East Friesland' has dense spikes of intense violet-blue blooms from early June to the end of summer. Or the Veronica 'Sunny Border Blue' has the plumy-type spikes, is a lighter violet-blue and blooms from early summer til frost. Or the 6" tall Veronica 'Georgia Blue' groundcover that has cobalt-blue flowers with white eyes. There is Russian Sage with its feathery silver foliage and cool blue feathery flowers and it is for the mid-summer to fall garden. There are also Lavender, the blue Asters, Purple Liatris, or Scabiosa 'Butterfly Blue' and Malva sylvestris 'Marina' with gorgeous violet-blue flowers brushed with darker blue.

The hardy geraniums that come in all sizes and in blues, burgundies, and lavenders. Plus shape, texture, and flower type are all totally different than the Autumn Joy and all the plants listed above.

Additionally the purples and burgundies plus the Autumn Joy flower color(s) look great playing off the yellows you already have. Also I have grown all of these in my zone 3/4.

Just a few thoughts.... :)

• jlester1952
    18 years ago

These plants bloom at different times unless you have deadheaded your veronica. Sometimes you will get a second bloom out of it. Even then, I think it will be finished before the flower color of your sedum starts to darken

Sponsored