Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Prairie Skyrise" Trembling Aspen P. tremuloides

Posted by sherwood_botsford 3a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 10:13

Bron & Son this year has started marketing a cultivar of Populus tremuloides as "Prairie Skyrise" Yes. NOT tremula -- not the erect form of european aspen.

The literature cites even more compact than P. tremula 'erecta' and at least on the ones I bought this is true. Indeed they are a 1 foot diameter column of almost solid leaf.

The curious thing:

1. I can find NO information about this cultivar outside of Bron's web site.

2. There appears to be no plant patent/royalty/COPF labeling on the plant or the invoice.

So: Anyone got any info about this critter? Is B&S marketing an old plant under a new name?

I'm moderately excited by this plant, as, being based on tremuloides instead of tremula it may be more resistant to Bronze Leaf Disease which affects the swedish aspen. but at least in Alberta doesn't seem to affect trembling aspen.

OTOH, BLD may strike at compact forms of Populus because of the compact form: Easy for fungal spores to get from leaf to leaf, higher humidity in the column, more damaged leaves from closer packing of leaf and twig, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here