Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allsaints22

Help! Neighbor's Water Run-off

Allsaints22
11 years ago

Hello, I am a recent transplant to South Carolina. We recently purchased a house in an older neighborhood, although our home was built in 2007. Starting in January 2012 our backyard became saturated with standing water. In particular, at the property line of with our neighbors. There lawn was also flooded. We questioned them on several occasions trying to find out where the water was coming from. We were given vague answers. I had a professional come out and evaluate the issue. The conclusion was that a sump pump was not working. (in the neighbor's yard). At this time we were told that the is "an underground stream" on their property. The dysfunctional sump pump (supposedly) drains this from their yard. According to the neighbors, it must have no worked in several months. Sump began working and my yard dried out. Now in July, I'm back in the same situation. What can I do to fix a problem that they obviously will not address? Who should I contact? An engineer? We are interested in installing a pool, but I can't bear to consider spending that kind of money with such drainage issues.

Sponsored