Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to valuate a nursery

Posted by eforgaard CA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 05 at 14:12

Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing an existing nursery and getting into the business. I need to determine the best way to valuate the business. Sales history? The acreage? Past profits based on tax statements?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
E

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to valuate a nursery

Have the current owner submitt the last 3 years of financial statements...
balance sheets
profit/loss statements

Take this information to:
your accountant
your banker
both of them will be able to tell you whether to buy or run

o

How much experience do you have?

o

In my previous life in the corporate world, valuating small businesses was something I used to do. Starting off with the three years of complete financial info is a beginning. You also want to take into consideration the cash flow (tax returns needed for this) and the value of the permanent assets - land, permanent structures, infrasystems, etc. And there are often intangibles involved - goodwill, name recognition, vendor relationships and customer lists, etc.

The larger the operation, the more complex this becomes. If this is a significant investment (bigger than a mom and pop operation), consulting a professional may be in order. Many banks now have departments that specialize in the financial needs of small businesses and they usually have someone trained in this methodology that can help. And it never hurts to have a good rapport with a small business banker - you never know when you may need that line of credit to help you over the rough spots in cash flow.

o

Thank you gardengal48, et al. I appreciate you taking the time. Time for me to bring in a professional!
- E

o

Where in Ca is the nursery?

One other suggestion. If you are already in the industry you may want to ask this Nurseries largest vendors their thoughts. Sales reps are a wealth of information and althought I wouldnt take the word of one rep as final, if you are able to talk to a couple of them and you see a trend, I would deffinatly
listen.

Good luck. The nursery buis can be great fun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here