Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wax myrtle North Carolina

Posted by bruce113 27513 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 15:12

Hello everyone,
I have a question about wax myrtle, I know that it is native to this state so it was our first choice to put down a hedge in the back yard, I went to a nursery and bought the three year old bushes , put them in the ground last year around October, this month I noticed that some are dying they are brown and all the leafs are dry, we have been getting some rain in this area so I do not think water is the reason as out of 12 bushes 4 are not doing badly, I really do not understand what might be the reason for them to die and are they dead ? should I pull them out of the ground and replant others or trim them down and hope they will grow again?
any body hade this happen to them with wax myrtle? what I understood that this plant does not require much attention, it is strange because they did grow little bit before they shriveled.
Any ideas help please

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wax myrtle North Carolina

There are "limited" roots on each plant 7 along with transplant shock and not getting as much water as when they were at the nursery so YES water shortage is probably a major part of the problem.
trim back the bushes & start a regular watering program this year. a small amount of of stsrter fertilizer will also help
They plants require little treatment after they are establisshed.

o

Even though native and well-adapted to local growing conditions, newly planted shrubs need a period of time to become established before they can be assumed to be 'self-sufficient'. That would extend through at least one full growing season - often a longer period is required. "Some rain" is very likely not enough water if you have not been regularly irrigating them as well.

You can check to see if the ailing plants are truly dead by scraping off the bark on a lower stem or the trunks. If it shows green underneath, the plants are still alive and may benefit by pruning back hard to let them regrow (with adequate watering!!). I'd avoid using any fertilizer at this point - when plants are under stress for whatever reason, they are unable to metabolize fertilizers properly and applying it unnecessarily will only stress them further. If it is not green, then they are indeed dead and will need to be replaced. New plants will require regular deep watering during the period of establishment - do not rely simply on rainfall. It is not enough.

The other thing you should check is depth of planting. Many newly planted shrubs and trees fail because they have inadvertantly been planted too deeply.

o

What amount of sun do wax myrtles require? How much space between plants?
Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here