Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscaper Service Destroyed My Rosebush!

Posted by suenyc 6B (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 15:48

Hi,
First off, they call themselves a "Landscape Service". I don't. My landlord(I live in a brownstone)has them come about every two weeks to mow the lawn and play with their obnoxious leaf blowers. I am an avid gardener and I can't stand them. Anyway, on to my problem. I had a very nice rosebush in the yard. The landlord had given me full permission to plant it. It was about 3 feet tall, nice and lush, with buds and blooms on it. Yellow ones. Well I came home yesterday afternoon to this:

You can see where they hacked it off at the top. It's now maybe a foot tall, all the blooms and buds gone. Needless to say I am furious. They left their bill, but no note of apology or anything. I intend to write them a letter of complaint. What I'd like to know is what you professionals do when one of your workers does something like this to a clients property. I understand accidents happen, but if it was an accident, have the decency to take responsibility for it and apologize. I have a hard time believing anyone could mistake a rosebush in bloom for a weed! I have since enclosed it in a cage and can only hope it grows back.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscaper Service Destroyed My Rosebush!

Simply appologize, replace the plant and discuss it with the guilty party. The damage is done.

o

Some would say that they are not landscapers, but lawn care workers.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 12, 06 at 0:29

I call it "chasing the grass." Anything that gets barked, run over or cut off is acceptable as long as they got all the grass cut. Maybe this comes from customers who are more concerned about any grass that does not get cut than about what gets cut trying to get every scrap of grass cut. I don't know.

I once had kid on a lawn crew working here stick the trimmer between sticks I had arranged in a circle around a rare pine to protect it from the trimming, thus eating the bark off and killing it. What did he think the sticks were for? Answer: he didn't think about the sticks at all, he was "chasing the grass" and there were wisps of grass inside the sticks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here