Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for ideas/recipe for potting mix, large scale

Posted by Rhisome 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 16:46

We are going to be planting thousands of container trees soon. I am looking to perfect a recipe for potting soil for this. We will need approx 5000cubic ft of material. Cost is a consideration. I was considering trying to find any lumber yards where we can get saw dust/shavings for this?

Are there other ideas out there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for ideas/recipe for potting mix, large scale

Review the attached link. The BEST soil recipes you can use are addressed in this first post. The 1-1-1 formulation (aka "gritty mix") is the one I'd prefer for woody plants but either will work fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: container soils

o

Hi Rhizome, here's my advice:
GET THEE TO A TRADE SHOW, as soon as possible. Perhaps you were able to attend the PANTs show last week in Phily. At these shows you will meet suppliers and compare prices and get the best deal. Also become active in your state's Nursery Association, meet other container growers, make alot of visits and ask alot of questions.
In my area we use pine bark amended with slow release to include trace elements. Ground limestone also depending on what species. In Spring we also include top dressing of slow release plus fertigation.
I do not regard the link for container soils as appropriate for you, that looks more like a gardening mix. In my area no commercial grower has used perlite for his tree soil mix in 30 years. Our local supplier sells 4CuFt perlite/$11.34 maybe thats why. Its gonna be amazing how quickly those 15 gal cans swallow up the soil. I highly recommend that you set the plants down so they don't have to be moved again until shipment.
I'm curious, sounds like you won the bid for a large contract right? Do you have the manpower and equipment to mix this volume of soil? Are you going to use trickle? How are you going to overwinter?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 15:32

Bark, sand, slow release fertilizer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here