Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick_b79

Selling tree and shrub seedlings on Ebay or Craigslist?

nick_b79
11 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone here has set up their own Ebay store page or post on Craigslist to sell plants online as supplemental income? I have a full-time job that pays the bills, but also have 1.5 acres of yard that I've started converting into orchards, flower beds, vegetable gardens and edible landscaping. I've only lived here 3 years, but I'm already starting to see a problem.

I love to grow trees and shrubs from seed, ever since I used to plant walnuts around my dad's farm as a kid. I went a little crazy when we bought the house, and started collecting and planting seeds like a madman, thinking I'd never fill up 1.5 acres of land. However, I purchased and planted approximately 60 fruiting trees and shrubs of selected cultivars in the meantime. Now, I'm realizing that the 100+ hybrid chestnut seedlings, 20 Russian walnut seedlings, 20 hazelnut, etc, are not going to all fit if spaced appropriately. My wife also insists on keeping 1/2 acre of land as lawn (silly wife). I also have dozens of seed-grown apple, cherry, apricot, pear and plum seedlings that I've started to use as rootstocks for grafting.

I've managed to find homes for some of the plants through family, friends and coworkers, but there are still so many left. Plus, I don't really want to stop planting tree seeds, since I live 40 min. away from a massively well-stocked, diversely planted state arboretum. I can't help but pluck a few berries or nuts off a beautiful tree when I see them (don't worry, I get permission first).

So, my wife suggested I look into selling the trees online as a source of supplemental income. I'm wondering if anyone here does this, or knows of someone who has. Are there any legalities I should know about? I understand that I can't sell certain varieties of grafted fruits that are patented, and that income must be reported on taxes. Are there any licenses that I need to obtain first, and if so where do I find information on this sort of thing? I'm not looking to make a lot of money (maybe a few bucks profit off of a potted tree).

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored