Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selling tree and shrub seedlings on Ebay or Craigslist?

Posted by nick_b79 4/5 Southeast MN (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 17:32

I'm wondering if anyone here has set up their own Ebay store page or post on Craigslist to sell plants online as supplemental income? I have a full-time job that pays the bills, but also have 1.5 acres of yard that I've started converting into orchards, flower beds, vegetable gardens and edible landscaping. I've only lived here 3 years, but I'm already starting to see a problem.

I love to grow trees and shrubs from seed, ever since I used to plant walnuts around my dad's farm as a kid. I went a little crazy when we bought the house, and started collecting and planting seeds like a madman, thinking I'd never fill up 1.5 acres of land. However, I purchased and planted approximately 60 fruiting trees and shrubs of selected cultivars in the meantime. Now, I'm realizing that the 100+ hybrid chestnut seedlings, 20 Russian walnut seedlings, 20 hazelnut, etc, are not going to all fit if spaced appropriately. My wife also insists on keeping 1/2 acre of land as lawn (silly wife). I also have dozens of seed-grown apple, cherry, apricot, pear and plum seedlings that I've started to use as rootstocks for grafting.

I've managed to find homes for some of the plants through family, friends and coworkers, but there are still so many left. Plus, I don't really want to stop planting tree seeds, since I live 40 min. away from a massively well-stocked, diversely planted state arboretum. I can't help but pluck a few berries or nuts off a beautiful tree when I see them (don't worry, I get permission first).

So, my wife suggested I look into selling the trees online as a source of supplemental income. I'm wondering if anyone here does this, or knows of someone who has. Are there any legalities I should know about? I understand that I can't sell certain varieties of grafted fruits that are patented, and that income must be reported on taxes. Are there any licenses that I need to obtain first, and if so where do I find information on this sort of thing? I'm not looking to make a lot of money (maybe a few bucks profit off of a potted tree).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selling tree and shrub seedlings on Ebay or Craigslist?

Horticultural Photos for Hort Professionals
http://www.hortphotos.com/?hop=wenobest
Produce beautiful catalogs, bench cards, newsletters and websites quickly and economically for less than the cost of one rights-managed photo!

Here is a link that might be useful: Horticultural Photo Library For Hort Professionals

o

MN Dept. of Ag.

o

Call the MN dept of Ag and tell them you want to apply for a nursery stock grower license. Plan to meet the inspector and explain exactly what you want to do, and they can explain which certifications you will need, and what costs you will run into. You need a license to sell within Minnesota, and when you sell across state lines your product must comply with the other states' laws, as well as federal pest quarantines, such as for gypsy moth and japanese beetle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here