Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pollyny

Van Bloem

PollyNY
18 years ago

Has anyone purchased wholesale from Van Bloem? Any comment on their products? I just received their catalogue, and it has some different (to me) perennials. I have checked Garden Watchdog, and nothing there, Thank you, Polly

Comments (16)

• deb118
    18 years ago

I have ordered from them for 2 years now. They provide excellent plants! And great service. I highly recomend ordering from them.

• PollyNY
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Deb, thank you. Nothing in the catalogue listed minimums, do you recall how many flats minimum. Thanks again so much! Polly

• deb118
    18 years ago

Polly,
    Flats? Almost everything comes in quanties of 25 for an order of something. I dont recall there being a minimum $ amount for the total order. Perhaps this time of year there may be. To make it worth there while to fill an order. But not at the regular ordering time. I hope this helps. :)

• viola8
    18 years ago

The retail store where I work has ordered Van Bloem's packaged bulbs to sell. Lots and lots of problems receiving orders. I love their packaging, but another company does better at supplying us in a very timely manner.

As for the perennials--I was told they essentially operate as a broker, and most of the items can be found from the original propagator if you're so inclined.

• PollyNY
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you both again. Viola8, it is the perennials I am interested in. It does appear they are a broker, but carry numerous plants that come from Holland. But one thing that interested me was that they carry smaller quantities of items I can get from the origional propagator, such as 25 of Terra Nova products, where I need to get 72 from Terra Nova. I love to buy from Terra Nova, but sometimes 72 is too much of something new for our small nursery. Thanks again. Polly

• deb118
    18 years ago

Polly,
    I, personally have had no problems with receiving orders from them. Everything has always been shipped when planned.

• PollyNY
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm going to give them a small try on their plugs and bloems. Thanks guys! Polly

• marilenav1
    18 years ago

Polly,

We are a grower/wholesaler located in Canada and we have purchased from VanBloem through their Canadian distributor. About 20% of the plugs we ordered from them failed to grow. The delivery was done in a timely fashion as we normally request that our plants be sent in mid March.

By the way, in most cases, you can order 1/2 flats of 36 plugs from Terra Nova.

• PollyNY
    Original Author
    18 years ago

20%, OUCH. And yes I did know you can order 1/2 flats from Terra Nova. I was comparing the prices of the plugs and bloems and the 1/2 flat price at Terra Nova, thought the bigger size might be better for me, but 20% loss?? I don't think I have a 2% loss from Terra Nova, their flats are always excellent. Thanks Polly

• mshostas_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

Try Walter's garden in MN. 'Perennials', most in 3 inch plugs 20/25 per flat, no minimum.

• trudy_gw
    17 years ago

We are a smaller nursery looking for a supplier that sells 3 inch plugs 20/25 per flat with no minimum.

mshostas do you have an address or webiste for Walters in MS or is it the Walters in Michigan?

• PollyNY
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Funny to see this thread revived.

Trudy, I have been buying from Walters for years. www.waltersgardens.com

They are undoubtedly the best. No minimum other than one flat. Have all your wholesale info inplace, they do not deal with anyone that is not a legit business.

• trudy_gw
    17 years ago

That is the Walters I thought you were talking about, hae bought from them before.

Was thinking maybe there was a Walters in MN also.

They do send very nice plants.

• PollyNY
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Trudy, a couple of others with no minimum I like (and that carry Hostas) are Northwest Bulb and Perennial, and Van Hoorn. Don't be put off by Northwest if you are in the East. Their shipping rates are surprisingly reasonable.

• trudy_gw
    17 years ago

Thank you pollyny I will check them out!

• mshosta_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

Hi Sorry MI not MN.
    'Walters Gardens, Inc.' Wholesale Perennials.1-888-925-8377 You need your state sale tax number. It is in Zeeland MI. They ship UPS Ground, No BOX charge, To open account e-mail ( sales@waltersgardens.com ) www.waltersgardens.com
    'Van Bloem' in Mississippi is good too!

Sponsored