Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_audge

Initial Consultation II: The Sequal

bonsai_audge
18 years ago

I think that may be an oxymoron, or simply makes no sense. Anyways, to the point! Summer school *huzzah* is drawing to a close, and one of my friend's parents wants me to help design the landscape around their to-be-built home. Key word is design, as they will be contracting out all of the grunt work. Thus, I have a little more freedom in what I can work with (skill/size wise), but also have to be very precise in what I do to avoid any mix-ups.

Since I'm anticipating this to be quite a large job, I (for obvious reasons) want to approach this extremely carefully. Starting off with an initial consultation, establishing what is to be expected of both parties and throwing around ideas/goals/vision/etc, going through a series of meetings as designs become more and more finalized until the design is done. Hopefully, that will be before the end of this summer (as school does limit my free design-time).

As you can probably tell from the title of this post, my question applies to the very first meeting that I'm going to be having. To help along with the discussion of what the clients want or do not want, I threw together a list of various topics/elements. I am wondering if anyone has anything that they think should be added or taken off the list, or just any comments/questions in general.

Basic Elements/Structures

pool

deck

patio

storage/shed

gardens

water features

fire pits

built-in seating

pergolas/arbours/gazebos

fences/partitions

other:

Gardens

formal/informal

borders

consistent throughout

transitions/sectioned/rooms

other:

Entertainment

frequency:

business/friends

number of people:

common activities:

BBQ/built-in/gas hook-up/sink

preparation area

other:

Leisure

playing courts/spaces (ex: basketball, etc)

pets

other:

Extras:

lighting

outdoor shower

other:

Anything would be very much appreciated!

-Audric

Comments (13)

• creatrix
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Plant that they
    Don't like
    Allergic to

Colors they don't like
    Colors they like

And since it's new- what will the outside of the house be like- brick? Siding? What color/ color range?

Who will maintain the yard and how much time will be spent per week. Do they garden or not (low perennial use/ high shrub use)

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    18 years ago

This is an old check off sheet.
    It might come in handy

Client _______________________________________________________

Address _____________________________________________________

Date ________________________

Job Administration ___________________________________________________

Permits and Fees ____________________________________________________

Testing Analysis ____________________________________________________

Trailer / Tool Lock box storage ___________________________________________

Port a Potty ________________________________________________________

Site Work :

Demolition of existing - Hardscape - Softscape ______________________________
    Debris Box - call city to verify conditions ______________________________________
    Excavation and Grading - _____________________________________________
    Excavator, Bob cat , Trencher ___________________________________________
    Trucking Import and Export _____________________________________________
    Relocation of Utilities and installation of new underground Utilities __________________
    Dump fees _________________________________________________________
    Silt Fencing and Plastic Tree fencing ______________________________________
    Labor _____________________________________________________________

Swimming Pool and Equipt. ____________________________________________

Drainage __________________________________________________________
    Subsurface________________________________________________________
    Surface __________________________________________________________
    Drain inlets_size ___ plastic or bronze_____________________________________
    Strip drains ________________________________________________________
    Drilling under pavement _______________________________________________
    Pipe , connectors , glue _______________________________________________
    Perf or Tight line _____________________________________________________
    Mirafi _____________________________________________________________
    Gravel ____________________________________________________________
    Filter cloth __________________________________________________________
    Transit set up and shoot _______________________________________________
    Labor ____________________________________________________________

Soil Preparation _____________________________________________________
    Amendments_______________________________________________________
    Fertilizers _________________________________________________________
    Equipment - Tiller, Trencher , handwork ____________________________________
    Erosion control - jute netting ____________________________________________
    Labor____________________________________________________________

Concrete Footings for :
    Walls and stem walls for raised terraces _____________________________________
    Fireplace __________________________________________________________
    Stairs _____________________________________________________________
    Fountains or Sculpture _________________________________________________
    Hot tub ___________________________________________________________

Masonry Flatwork -
    flat work - patio - no color - rough finish for receipt of a veneer ( slate brick stone)______
    flat work - patio - no color - broom finish
    flatwork - patio - color - ___________ special finish ___________________________
    flagstone on slab ____________________________________________________
    dry lay flagstone ____________________________________________________
    gauged slate or tile on slab_____________________________________________
    brick on slab - style - bond, herringbone, basketweave ________________________
    brick on compacted class II base and sand __________________________________
    brick band on a concrete slab ____________________________________________
    brick band mow strip __________________________________________________
    local field stone walls __________________________________________________
    tight cut hand fitted walls - state stone type __________________________________
    stone steps - big slab and chunks _______________separate R + T ______________
    boulder side walls for steps _____________________________________________
    boulder placement ___________________________________________________
    dry stream beds - include boulders, rocks, gravel, stones _______________________
    Paths - decomposed granite with Epic side walls and stakes ,screws _______________
    Paths - gravel ________________ subbase ______ sidewalls stakes screws_______
    Paths - flagstone , slate , tile _______dry lay ________wet set __________________
    Pavers on sand _____________________________________________________
    Cast Stone products - caps , columns , pilasters , treads ________________________
    CMU walls with reinforcement steel # 4 bar__________________________________
    Versalock block walls __________________________________________________

patios on grade _______________________________________
    walls and caps______________________________________________________
    paths ____________________________________________________________
    planters __________________________________________________________
    columns __________________________________________________________
    fountains __________________________________________________________
    Other ____________________________________________________________

Carpentry -
    decks _____________________________________________________________
    railings ____________________________________________________________
    planters ___________________________________________________________
    seating ____________________________________________________________
    built-ins ____________________________________________________________
    Arbors ____________________________________________________________
    Trellis, Latticework ____________________________________________________
    Gates_____________________________________________________________
    Fences ____________________________________________________________
    Other _____________________________________________________________

Metal Work _________________________________________________________

Planting ____________________________________________________________
    Boulder placement ___________________________________________________
    Mulch _____________________________________________________________

Irrigation and additional plumbing__________________________________________

Lighting and additional electrical___________________________________________

• miss_rumphius_rules
    18 years ago

One question that I always like to ask is: Is there a favorite garden you have visited? Often, with people travelling, there is. Sometimes it's Grandma's garden, sometimes it's Villandry, sometimes it's a wild place like the Adirondaks...

Also, don't forget play structures if they have kids and vegetable/herb gardens...

• Cady
    18 years ago

I get a sense of what their likes and interests are on the phone, then bring a stack of garden design books and magazines with big, colorful photos of gardens that reflect what the client has told me.

The person may not know much about plants or styles, but he/she will know intuitively and immediately what "look" and setup appeals. Once you have that established, you can go through the list of practicalities to adapt a "look" to the pragmatic needs of the client.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

And don't forget the budget discussion - many folks new to the landscaping process seriously underestimate the cost of what is involved.

• inkognito
    18 years ago

"one of my friend's parents wants me to help design the landscape" this phrase may be the key to your approach Audric. When working for friends you must assume that they are asking for your input because you are good at what you do and not because you are cheap. Thank them for their confidence in you at the prequel to the initial consultation to avoid any messy sequel. Now to what it is you are good at. Do you have the ability to draw up a working drawing together with the specification a contractor will need to bid on? The answer to this is probably no (trying to be realistic here NOT unkind) so then exactly what would be your input? In the past you have shown an ability to solve problems and a mind open enough to turn a bunch of disconnected ideas into one, if I am correct then this is the strength you should play to, in another field this would be the job of the Artistic Director. This is, in fact the 'design' part of landscape design or should I say the 'imaginative' part and perhaps you could concentrate on this, remember that you have been asked to "help" with the design. Therefore, once again, if I am correct in my asumptions, you should base your consultation on this. Consequently, in your first meeting do not touch on the practical, establish your fee (probably an hourly rate) for sure but then do what susan suggest with some of what cady says and this way you (the Artistic Director) get a feel of the desired yarden. You will get all the answers you need within this three week (just joking) meeting. What you get will be scattered and unclear, but then isn't this what you are good at, you reassemble this into a couple (no more than three) of plans, concepts for your next meeting.
    If you go to your meeting with a questionnaire attached to a clip board you will blow it.

• inkognito
    18 years ago

I hadn't meant to kill your thread Audge, sorry!

• Cady
    18 years ago

I don't think it was you, INK. More likely people are doing other things this week, like working in their professions!

• inkognito
    18 years ago

OUCH!

• creatrix
    18 years ago

I usually send the questionnaire ahead of the interview. If they get to it, it helps concentrate the discussion. If they don't, I don't fill out every line, but do try to use as a base to be sure I get most of the info I need.

In my limited experience, most of my clients have spent some time on the questionnaire,and have a better idea about the goal of the project. I have a list of plants they do and don't want used, some color guidance and an idea about how much maintenance they expect to do.

Perhaps as I get further along in this, I will be able to elicit all this information off the top of my head. Until then, I find it a useful tool.

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Before we start questioning where Ink gets the time to provide such thoughtful replies ; P, I'd like to thank everyone for their response!

If you were wondering why I didn't respond to the thread, it was because of summer school (as I explained in another post). So with that finally out of the way, I'll be able to post more frequently!

I do admit that the thought of going to a meeting solely with a questionnaire was a little jejune, but, like some people said, some people are a little unsure of what they would want. Perhaps having it as a back-up, should discussion stall, would be a better idea?

I like the idea of bringing in magazines chock-full of ideas for them to browse through, but I have none. Perhaps this is a good sign to get subscribed now to build up a deadly archive of design. I do have architectural magazines, and the certain "feeling" that people want can be easily translated from architecture and interiors into the landscape.

Ink, I liked how you stated that I should focus more on the ideas, rather than the exact design and specs. I don't take offense at all from you saying that I do not have the skill currently to produce such high-calibre diagrams and such. However, it's something that I do wish to learn (eventually) but I agree that it's something that is not best learned through trial-and-error, especially if each trial is in the thousands of dollars ; )

So currently, my understanding is thus:

-The "big picture" is the best focus of discussion for the first meeting
    -general ideas or thoughts are key, rather than specifics
    -project should be outlined (?): budget, timeline, general expectations, etc (?)
    -*NOT* a survey

Am I getting warmer?

-Audric

• Cady
    18 years ago

Audric,
    You can always download photos off the 'net. In fact, the major garden mags have websites full of photos.

Fine Gardening
    Horticulture
    Garden Gate
    etc.

There are also lots of websites with garden photos aplenty, including famous gardens like Sissinghurst (hey, your client should think big). Think outside the box and surf the 'net.

• miss_rumphius_rules
    18 years ago

Here's an example...I was doing an initial interview w/some clients who seemed to have definate ideas and who I percieved might be difficult. Their vision seemed to be so well formed I wondered why they even called me. I listened to them and spoke very little. They rambled off favorite plants and he mentioned (not that the accent hadn't given me a clue) that he was from the south. So, long story short, I did what I though was right for the property, not neccesarily what they thought they envisioned, but...in the proposed plantings was a specimen Magnolia and several hardy Crepe Myrtles. Those sold the plan and actually gave them what they really wanted--a palpable feeling of 'home'.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services