Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Professional grade Potting Mix

Posted by anandkuchibh none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 20:48

I want to make all purpose potting mix with coco peat, vermiculite and PBH (parboiled rice huls). Can I add Osmocote to this mix. Is osmocote enough or should I add any other nutrients? If so, how much I should add for a 25 lbs of soileless growing medium as said above?

If NOT Osmocote, what should I add for NPK fertilizer and in what quantities? Thank you in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Professional grade Potting Mix

I don't know why you couldn't use SRF in your recipe. The best policy regarding amounts is to pretty much follow the directions (or less) for your particular product. What kind of plants are you going to be growing in this mix?

There are hundreds of different kinds of fertilizers on the market. You will simply have to find one that provides your plants with what they need. If you plan on keeping plants in this mix for a long time, I urge you to find something with the minor elements included. NPK alone will not supply the trace elements.

I think you should know that vermiculite collapses very quickly and will not add the structure and porosity that I assume you're looking for. It turns into mush. If you want something which increases porosity, provides lots of air pockets, holds onto a fair amount of water, and is sturdy enough to do its job for a long time.....perlite is what you want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here