Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echinaceamaniac

Growth Regulators

echinaceamaniac
15 years ago

I've read that growth regulators can increase the number of stems on echinacea plants. One product in particular is called "Configure." I have a special plant that I'm propagating and I was thinking of trying the regulator on it to increase the number of basal cuttings I can take. Do any of you have experience with this process? Thanks in advance to any info you could give me!

Comments (6)

• georgez5il
    15 years ago

Configure contains (BA) benzyladenine. Have not tried it on echinacea (I grow that plant from seed not cuttings) the results have been mixed.... works good 1 year & not the next... The good results seem to be species specific. so untill more research is done its strickly trial & error.... Let now how it works for you

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

The growing tips of plants produce a growth hormone called auxin. Some plants have what is called apical dominance where the top most growing tip's auxin tells the lower branch tips not to grow. By removing this apical tip, the side branch tips will begin to grow.

These growth regulator produces do what you can do with a pair of pruning shears. Stop the apical tip from controlling the side branch growth.

Think about it.

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have to report back about this great product! I used it about a week ago and the results are amazing. I used 300 parts per million and sprayed the leaves very well. There are now buds all over the crown ready to grow!

This is going to help me so much! I even used it on a new plant I bought and I'll be able to take cuttings in a few days. I used it in a test on an echinacea cutting and that also has a shoot coming from the bottom now. I'm amazed by this stuff. It truly works with echinaceas.

• sandy0225
    15 years ago

I heard it was good for hostas too. I've been having problems finding it though. Where did you purchase it? I also want to try it with banana plants, especially some of the more rare ones.

• tomato_tom
    15 years ago

petzold wrote: "These growth regulator produces do what you can do with a pair of pruning shears. Stop the apical tip from controlling the side branch growth."

Thats the same what I think. BA or Kinetin only promote axillary buds on nodes. It cannot produce shoots in any other position than nodes, right?

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

You got it down pat.

Sponsored