Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
viola8_gw

Greenhouse benches or not?

viola8
18 years ago

I grow in 4" pots, using a combination of old/rickity wood tables(tops are actually pallets) and some wire mesh tables (welded together by us). Wood is rotting. Mesh sags and is wrong size for flats we use. Hoop houses are 100 x 10 or thereabouts. Grow annuals and perennials. Need to pinch and/or groom a good many of them. So....do you grow on tables or on the ground?

If on tables, your favorite table is?

On the ground seems awfully backbreaking to me. Your thoughts?

Thanks much.

Comments (9)

• flowerpower_girl
    18 years ago

Tables without question. I don't know what your budget is like, but most professional tables are steel mesh. You can even get ones that will shift so that you can maximize the space in your greenhouse. If they are within your budget, you should definately spring for them. I would stay away from the wood because it can absorbs water which can provide a good environment for fungus and diseases. I don't know of any wholesalers or retailers, but I'm sure that you could google a search for your area.... or maybe someone else can steer you in a better direction.

Good luck

• viola8
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts. I know I want tables, just have to justify my request, ask the powers that be, and hope for the best. I'm considering increasing production, and since the old wood set-up has got to go now (it's literally rotting and collapsing),and we don't have enough of the other tables, I've got my hopes up for something better. I may also be switching to a larger greenhouse which would be a real dream. No more tall plants smashing into the poly in the low hoophouses.

Finding a supplier will be the least of my worries:)

• superphosphate
    18 years ago

Growing on the ground in summer means the coolest temperatures, as opposed to benches.

• botanybob
    18 years ago

I made my own benches out of 2x4's and hardware cloth. I made them to fit the flats so the flats were supported by wood on each end. That way they didn't sag. I sterilized my benches once or twice a year with a bleach solution applied with a backpack sprayer. I liked having the plants up closer to me. It made it easier to water accurately and easier to see problems developing. Also, it provides better air circulation under the pots, which I think is beneficial.

• momcat2000
    18 years ago

i use old futon frames to keep my plants off the ground, either as is , or on scrap 4x4 legs for height

• lenten_rose
    18 years ago

Benches for me. no question.

To determine height, consider not only your comfort zone in standing position, but also if weeds are at all possible, make the benches tall enough that you (or others) can crawl under "comfortably" (with pads) at kneeling height. Seems a minor consideration, but we learned the hard way on this one. If the ground surface is gravel, even with an application of preemerge, if the benches are two inches too low to kneel under, somebody is going to have to stomache slither under to weed. Spraying is never sufficient. Many concrete blocks later, its been sorted.

• viola8
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Superphosphate: I try not to have much left come summer and don't grow anything for fall. Yet. Ground would definitely be cooler in the houses I use. I don't have fans.

Lenten rose: I'm embarrassed to admit that even with pre-emergent and occasional careful spraying of herbicides, sometimes I pluck a weed that has grown up thru the pallets. You are so right--kneeling and crawling on gravel is not fun.

botanybob: Your solution is probably the most workable. If I can get someone to ok the wood legs. Can you slide flats across the hardware cloth? That may be what is used on the current tables, but what with the sagging and all, nothing slides.

Angle iron (I think that's what it is) is used now for the legs, and let me tell you, those legs can sink real quickly thru the gravel and soil when under a heavy load. It looks like I will be growing in the same small hoop houses and getting some new tables built. Was hoping for more spacious conditions next year, but not gonna happen. Will draw up plans for your type tables and give it a try with the boss.

Thanks again for all your help.

• SeniorBalloon
    18 years ago

Do any of you use the underside of benches for storage? I have been thinking about this and am stumped by the water issue. Water is going to get under there and so it can't really be used for storing anything that can't get wet. But I would like to use that space for cupboards where you could store fertilizer and such. I suppose I could use plastic tubs with a water tight seal.

jb

• upnortdareh
    18 years ago

We have used wooden snow fence and 2x4s or pipe for 18 years with no problems.If you grow in 16' houses this works even better. One block high you can get 3 rows in a house, or in wider houses you can use 2 blocks high. Works for me----- upnortdareh

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022