Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kalefarmer

Starting an orchard

kalefarmer
14 years ago

I am thinking of starting an orchard. I have a 30 acre field in eastern Kentucky that would be well suited for fruit trees. My husband and I have recently planted a 40 tree mixed fruit orchard in our backyard, so I am not a complete novice about laying out an orchard, planting, pruning, spraying schedules and tree care.

I also would like to get organic certification. I currently grow everything organically, just have not owned my land long enough to get certification.

Ideally we would like to take care of the trees ourselves and maybe hire help for harvesting. Our land is paid for, and I know that it takes time for the trees to mature to bear fruit. I am looking for advice from people who have experience growing fruit professionally. Like are you happy with your choice, what would you do differently, etc.

I am attracted to fruit trees for their relative permanence. I love trees! My husband and I both like working outside, and want to be food producers, but are not really interested in expensive farm machinery. Do you think our dream is possible? Could we make enough money from a 30 acre orchard to support a family of three (keep in mind our land is paid for)?

Thanks.

Comment (1)

Sponsored