Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jumpinjuniper

Opening retail nursery at home

jumpinjuniper
17 years ago

Ok, newly seperated, new house, new land. I offer garden design, grow the plants, plant the plants. Now that I have ALL the decision making power, I'm thinking about opening a retail nursery at my home. Of course, it would look fabulous by the time I open, if I do.

I want to hear some stories considering the practicalities of doing this. Do I have set hours, what to do about people showing up past hours? It is my home of course. Any help in making this decision would be most appreciated.

Comments (8)

• pamghatten
    17 years ago

I sell daylilies from home "By appointment". I work a full time job and sell daylilies as a sideline, but do a lot of early season internet sales. I have over 400 daylily cultivars.

I have a sign out front that has Open Or Closed on it depending. I advertise in the local Pennysaver that I'm open by appointment and to please call. I had a great response this year from that ad. I think it also helps that I've been doing this for 6+ years and people are starting to hear about me from word of mouth. I also speak to garden clubs and any other clubs that are interested.

A friend that sells daylilies locally also, is able to take work off for the summer (lucky him) tos ell his daylilies and he was open specific hours all July & August. After last year, he decided that he wouldn't be open August unless it was by appointment. Not much foot traffic through in August.

How are you going to have the time to design, grow, plant and maintian a nursery & grounds? That's something to think about ...

Lots of other considerations, like, how people are going to find you ...

Good luck.

Pam
    South Wales, NY

• patrick_nh
    17 years ago

Read Tony Avent's "So You Want to Start a Nursery?". He pulls no punches, and has thought of everything that you need to be aware of. "Growing Profits" by Michael and Linda Harlan has all the nuts and bolts of how to grow the plants in a backyard nursery setting as opposed to a home garden. It has some good info too, but IMO doesn't prepare you nearly enough as Avent does. Harlan holds your hand and encourages you all the way, while Avent prepares you for what it's like in the real world.

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

I don't do this but I have some friends that have and they have complaints. I worked for them as an employee in the past and I think the complaints are a bit overblown. An occassional shopper might show up during the off hours but it is very rare and I've never seen anyone be offended or difficult when asked to leave. Now whether they ever came back during the "on" hours is unknown. And in my limited experience as an employee it seems more thefts happened during busy hours than in the off hours - and thefts were also very rare.

If I was doing this I would invest in a good fence and gate and I would make a clear distinction over what part of the property is the business and what part is private.

• laag
    17 years ago

"Now that I have ALL the decision making power, ..."

"Any help in making this decision would be most appreciated."

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Before I'd worry about your hours, I'd get some of the critical details in order: water quality (this can make or break a nursery), drainage, irrigation systems, etc.

What is your growing experience in the past? Do you foresee yourself selling a variety of things, or concentrating on a speciality?

• jspece
    17 years ago

My nursery is here on the family farm. It is great being able to work at home, but there are drawbacks...

Once people realize your nursery is at your home, some think nothing of dropping in at 7 or 8 pm! Or, 7 or 8 am. This doesn't happen regularly, but it does happen several times a year. Not a huge issue and we never turn them away unless absolutely necessary, but if you have plans for the evening or just need some quiet/alone time (and you will!), it is annoying. If the customer calls in advance, it is a different story...at least they acknowledge the fact that it is after hours. Most don't call. I find these drop-ins often are not big spenders, either.

An even bigger problem for us are those who drop in on the day(s) we are closed. We are supposed to be closed on Mondays, but during the peak season, we either have to leave the place or we end up with customers. We have an ongoing joke that Mondays are usually the most profitable day of the week. This is a bigger problem than after hour shoppers...unless you have employees, you will need at least one day off to take care of your day to day needs...pay bills, buy groceries, etc. As suggested, a gate would solve these problems, but living on a farm, we are in and out many times each day and a gate would be a huge hassle.

Our personal/display gardens are a big asset to our sales. But we often run into trouble when people insist on buying something that is not for sale. Most people understand and are content to wait until the plants are available. A few aren't so understanding, though. Then there are a select few who insist on "shopping" from the display garden, no matter how many times we explain where to find the nursery area!

Pam has another good point...are you going to have employees? There is simply no way you can do all you want to do (design, maintenence, grow, tend to customers) on your own. What about all those other things that will need to be done...ordering plant material and supplies, maybe propagation, advertising...stuff like that?

If you want to remain a one person operation, I would suggest you narrow your focus. Pick one or two niches to fill. You can't be everything to everyone without an army of help. Just tending to customers is nearly a full time job.

Enough for now. I have been doing this for 8 years and I still have much to learn. I think this is a great topic and look forward to what others have to say!

• HerbLady49
    17 years ago

I just retired and closed my retail nursery after 18 years. Loved working from home. My hours were posted on my sign. When I was closed I moved a large barrel with closed on it up at the entrance and rarely had anyone ignore it. If they came early they would wait in the parking lot until I opened. There is a very tiny percentage that you have to be assertive with. My business telephone had a message stating my hours and I never answered it until after I opened. My suggestion is to start small and have fun. If you really want to do this do not listen to negative feedback or share your ideas with people that might like to take the wind out of your sales.

• gw:plant_babies
    17 years ago

I TOTALLY agree w/ not listening to people who at first APPEAR to be helpful, but who actually are not very nice.