Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idealist

Master plan and installation by differnt landscaping professional

idealist
12 years ago

Wanted to know your opinion about what I am thinking of doing.

I am finally ready to hire the landscaping professional to turn our yard into a garden. Unfortunately the designer who's work I like the most, doesn't serve our area.

I am willing to pay extra traveling fee (if they agree, of course) to get a master plan from them. And then hire a professional in our area to do the installation.

What do you think about this? Would it be a problem to find someone willing to implement somebody else ideas? Could some of those ideas get lost in translation? Any other caveats?

I would greatly appreciate any and all opinions.

Comments (3)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Design work is VERY often done by someone different than the landscape contractor who will do the work. The success of such projects depends largely upon the communication between the two parties, as well as their separate competencies. For example, I've had to completely re-do master plans for municipal projects because the landscape architect lived so far away that he didn't take into account a different climate! Or the designer can be too far away to properly evaluate a site regarding drainage patterns, soil type, etc.

I've also had to deal with landscape contractors so unwilling to follow specifications that I had no choice but to fire them on the spot. Or so ignorant about common planting practices that entire projects had to be done over.

On the other hand, this is a very common practice and can work out beautifully when it all falls together. Your designer may have a favorite contractor that he or she is used to working with, for example.

But be prepared to understand if this designer just doesn't have the time to spare for lots of travel. If you find someone who will make one visit, go back home and send you the master plan in the mail with a bill....tell them NO, thanks. It really takes a lot of time to do a successful design. I rate success as a project that passes the test of time...what does it look like in 5, 10 years?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

I agree - this is a VERY common situation :-) Independent designers are, at least in my area, the rule rather than the exception :-) I do design work over an extensive geographic area but because I am a sole proprietor and getting to be, shall we say, of "mature years", I do no manual labor myself nor do I have a landscape installation crew. Instead, I work a lot with DIY'ers that need design help but are willing to do the all the labor themselves or I refer to a couple of full service landscape contruction companies that can do everything from grading and drainage, irrigation, all manner of hardscape construction, and of course, planting. It is quite likely that your designer of choice will have construction contacts in your area.

BTW, I've done landscape designs as remote from me as Southern California (I am in WA state), so it can be done at a distance but as Dorrie (rhizo) indicates, absolutely requires some time onsite and in person.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I've done it too for clients who purchased plant material from me. I did not want to hire installers and preferred to stay completely on the growing end of it. But I would go to the site and draw up at least a bubble and on rare occasions would spend some time with them evaluating choices and recommending other vendors. Then give them some recommendations for installers and step out of the equation.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company