Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtmacc99

Do my mature mugo pines have 'value'?

jtmacc99
16 years ago

I need some help in figuring out the best way to deal with the eighteen mugo pines that line the path to my front door. They are now all about four feet across and are officially too big for where they are, so I would like to remove them.

I think it would be a terrible waste to just cut them down and kill them, but the job of digging up 18 large shrubs and moving them to 18 new holes in my yard is probably too much for me to handle.

So my question is, do these mugo pines have any value to professional landscapers? I would think they would be very expensive for somebody to purchase at a nursery. What I don't know is whether or not a landscaper could charge a client enough for them to cover the cost of removing them from my property.

I have more questions, but I'm not going to bother you all with them here until I find out the answer to my first question.

Thank you very much!

John

Comments (8)

• nwnatural
    16 years ago

I'm not sure about the regulations in New York but, in our neck of the woods, we have to use nursery grown plant material. So many diseases these days, wholesale and retail nurseries are regularly inspected by... (well I can't remember the official government title). I would be out of business if I put in a mugo pine and it happen to be a carrier of a major virus that wiped out an entire ecosystem.

I appreciate that you want to see your mugo's go to a good home. Maybe you should list them for free on Craig's List, to someone who would dig them out and forget about a profit.

• jtmacc99
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you! I did not consider regulations.

Digging them up for free is EXACTLY what I'm trying to get at here. I was hoping that, if they had value, I could get somebody to dig them out and maybe leave a couple for me and fill the holes with topsoil. (I'd pay for the topsoil of course.)

In my perfect scenario, I'd end up with a clean slate for new planting, the healthy mugo pines would find a new home, I'd get to keep a couple of them, and it wouldn't cost me much money.

• nwnatural
    16 years ago

I see what your going for. Craig's list might be just the right thing. We also have a similar service through our city utilities that you post free stuff on (2 good 2 toss), you might have something like that near you.

• rosiew
    16 years ago

Wish I was close by - would love some mature mugos.

One suggestion is that you consult a professional about when to let them be moved. I think you will find that after they're in dormancy would be ideal. It would be such a shame if they didn't survive the move.

HTH,
    Rosie in Sugar Hill, GA

• jtmacc99
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, both of you, for your input. I agree with the thought about dormancy, and I was hoping that by starting the process now, I would leave enough time to properly plan out a good time to move them this fall.

• botann
    16 years ago

Mature Mugos do not move well. I would tie them up to my truck and yank them out. Most people do not give them enough room to spread to their potential, and they end up getting hacked back. They don't take well to that either... as far as looks go.
    Pull them out and start fresh. I would bring the lawn up to the walk, but that belongs in the landscape Design Gallery.

• botann
    16 years ago

What did you finally do?

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

I, too, picture these falling apart when lifting is attempted. There is not likely to be a compact enough root system.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio