Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike758_gw

Thoughts on the Horticultural field? Is it a good career?

mike758
9 years ago

I graduated high school this year, and unlike most my classmates, I decided to go to college for something realistic that I actually enjoy doing, not a field just for the money. Most people go to earn something that will land them a desk job, and many people that do pick a field they enjoy pick something that there aren't many jobs in. I debated between going to college for horticulture or proffessional woodworking, which are two of my biggest hobbies and do have jobs although they have low pay.

I ultimately chose Horticulture, because proffessional woodworking is a very low paying industry ($25k a year average), and a diminishing industry. I got into a free trade school for horticulture, which is completely free, and I go three years for an associates degree. It's a very challenging and strict school with a low acceptance rate, and is one of the topped ranked of its type in the area. The school has a lot of employers that recruit, and every student that graduated in the last 15 years was employed prior to graduation (100% employment rate). The program I am majoring in is Horticulture, Landscaping, and Turf Management, and focuses on many aspects of all industries related to that description.

Anyway, the reason I got into the field is because I love being outside and I'm really into gardening. I haven't ruled out landscaping or turf management fields (which seem to be the better money makers), but I plan as of now to work somewhere in the nursery, commercial growing, proffessional gardening, and those kind of fields. I'm a real simple man, and also a very hard worker, I've been currently working 50 hours a week this summer as a produce market stock person, and I also do my heavy gardening and some carpentry at home after.

My whole issue though is I heard many negative things about the field I plan to go in, and I need some advice to see if I'm on the right path or not. I've heard that this kind of work is very hard and boring, and offers very very low salary, as in hard to live off of. I've also heard that many jobs only offer seasonal work. Another thing I heard is that this is not very good for long term either. In my opinion, I feel like the schools a good pick, being free and having a very good reputation, and I feel the program is very good offering many options, maybe my path is just wrong. Maybe landscaping and turf management are the better directions, because as I said earlier, they seem to offer better pay. Maybe I'm also in the wrong major all together. Opinions?

Comment (1)

Sponsored