Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrhodo

Moving spring bulbs to make way for annuals

jrhodo
15 years ago

Hi All,

I garden at three golf courses. We are building a wedding chapel. I want to put in loads of spring bulbs and then move them when they are done blooming (I hate putting up with their leaves). I will plant them out of site for the summer and then replant in the fall.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks, Jean

Comments (3)

• samiamvt
    15 years ago

Hi Jean,
    We frequently move bulbs on a small scale with sucess, although we usually only move them one way, not back again to their original spot.
    In theory, you should be able to do what you are proposing.
    I have a couple of thoughts that may help you, for what they are worth...
    1) When you move them in the spring/early summer, do it as quickly as possible (have the transplant area dug out and ready to go before you dig up the bulbs so you can just plonk them in) and then water them regularly, but not too heavily for the first several days. In short, approach moving bulbs the same way you would moving any perennial.
    2) I don't think it is realistic to expext a 100% success rate on the transplanting, so when you replant in the Fall, plant them tighter together than you normally would so as to avoid really noticible gaps.
    Hope this is helpful?

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

If these are most kinds of tulips it would be better to dig and discard each year as with annuals. Daffodils and hyacinths would be saved and used indefinitely. Few spring bulbs are at all fussy about being moved "in the green."

Otherwise, what a lot of bother! Probably this is a situation where a carpet bedding type of approach is being used. Otherwise it would be preferable to take a mixed border approach and interplant drifts of annuals and perennials with drifts of bulbs, all of them being left in place after initial planting (except where lifting and dividing in season to maintain vigor and drift shapes). For instance, daffodils go well interplanted with peonies and day lilies. The emerging reddish shoots of the peonies contrast with the flowers of the daffodils, then open up to obscure the foliage of the bulbs. The daylilies continue interest after both have gone over.

• gonativegal
    15 years ago

A couple tricks to handle bulbs past their prime and keep them looking respectable while they continue to photosynthesize is to first deadhead the flower stalks as they finish blooming and then deadleaf the yellowed foliage as needed until the entire plant goes dormant. This is the same approach I use for daylilies and it works very well. It keeps the bulbs, while not exciting to look at, at least neat and tidy.

Interplanting with other perennials to camoflague decaying foliage as Bboy suggests is also a good idea.

One note of caution: I'd hesistate to interplant too many water loving annuals with the bulbs, especially impatiens - bulbs and too much summer watering usually results in a poorer show of flowers the following season. The bulbs prefer a drier period during the summer months.

So with regard to annuals & perennials as well, pick those that don't require too much supplemental watering.

Sponsored