Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creatrix_gw

Container Maintenance

creatrix
18 years ago

I have two maintenance clients that want great containers, but won't water. They are not holding me responsible for the plant material that dies, but I would like to decrease this problem next year. I worked these properties last year, but we got more rain, and it wasn't such a problem.

This year I added SoilMoist crystals after the containers were planted, which helped some. I can add this to the potting soil before I plant next year since I'll be in charge.

I'm pondering adding a Pampers with holes poked in it.

I'm also wondering about rotating plants out- keeping them at my house to nurse back to health. This might involve keeping plants in separate pots for some of the larger containers, as well as a larger plant order to start. And figuring out how to charge for the water and time involved.

Any helpful suggestions out there?

Comments (7)

• samiamvt
    18 years ago

We put water crystals way down in all of our planters before we plant them. Also, we "hatch" the crystals first. Put them in a bucket with some water so they partially expand,and are a water source right from the get go. I think they definitely help, but only to a point.
    Do you have budgetary constraints with these clients? In other words, are they not willing to pay you to water as much as needed?
    Another thing that might help a little is to choose plants that don't need as much water, like some of the grasses.
    There are also so called 'selfwatering planters' with reservoirs in them. We have used the hanging basket ones and they definitely seem to work. If your clients have nice planters, maybe you could rig up a way to set the self watering ones inside them?
    Hope this helps...
    Sam

• GreenieBeanie
    18 years ago

I won't take responsibility for plants that are not on automatic irrigation, and I never trust clients to water containers properly. There are now some very simple battery-powered timers that can be set up directly at a hose bib and outfitted with filters and pressure reducers that feed into a drip irrigation system.

Another option is a product from rainbird (I think?), along the same lines as the pamper, but made for the express purpose of keeping plants alive between waterings. It's basically like a sausage which is filled with crystals. It is laid on top of the soil and slowly emits moisture over the course of 30 days. They also have larger sizes in a milk-carton kind of container. These might keep things alive between weekly waterings.

Best of luck!

• creatrix
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to both of you. I need to look into the self-watering containers, maybe I can jury-rig something. I don't see drip irrigation on either job, especailly not the one with the large patio- it takes almost 100 feet or hose to get from the spigot to the farthest container.

Part of the problem is that both gardens were open for Garden Week and there are more containers than before. I think I'll suggest going back to the usual number next year!

• debinca1
    18 years ago

There is a product called Rainmat ( or Rain- Mat) Like a pampers for containers. Its meant to use when you are gone for self watering. I use them in hanging city baskets along with the crystals. I cut the mat into fourths and put it on the bottom with the dimples up. Its helped esp for those stores that forget to water their baskets.

• Hap_E
    18 years ago

Look in to interior-scaper self watering pot liners. They can fit in a huge assortment of pots and some of the large ones can hold gallons and gallons of water. Of course they must be emtied and stored for the winter if they are exposed to freezing weather.

Then set up a schedule (and fee) to service the planters twice a month or so...

Of course you could also put together succulent and xeriscape type plants mix in the containers and hope for the best.

Good luck,

Hap

• creatrix
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm at both properties twice a month already- that may be the way to go. I'm already looking at a planter of cactus for the table under the umbrella- it gets no rain at all!

• txjenny
    18 years ago

Most clients think they can handle the upkeep on containers, but few are really committed to the daily watering. In addition to doing the things others have suggested, I usually put some kind of top-dressing around the plants to keep the moisture in--green or grey moss or river rocks (it looks really cool, too, and my clients like the finished look).

You'll always have clients that resist your professional advice, so I try to speak their language. I had a client who was an investment banker and try as I might, I couldn't get him to deal with a drainage problem he had in the yard. I finally said, "You're paying me a lot of money to landscape your beautiful property, and I'd really like to help you protect your investment." That was all it took! It doesn't always turn out that way, but lesson learned: change your approach/language if your message isn't getting through. Good luck!

Sponsored