Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden themed around children

Posted by pattiplanter 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 31, 06 at 20:42

I had a customer ask me today to look into a particular garden type she saw on TV. She said the garden in question was full of plants with names that relate to children somehow, like Humpty Dumpty Salvia, or Merry Go Round daisy, (totally made up names). Has anyone ever heard of this, and do you know where I can find a list of such plants? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden themed around children

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 1, 06 at 21:27

These would be marketing (selling) names used for annuals and other "cute" plants that appeal to a certain sensibility. Look at catalogs and other listings of annual and vegetable seeds and plants.

o

One such catalog (available on-line) is Plant's Delight. You can quickly roam over the listings, keeping your eye out for those 'cutesy' names. Park Seed is another one with a substantial seed listing.

I doubt very much that there is one database for the kinds of plants you are looking for.

(How about 'Chocolate Chip' Baptisia or 'Gotta Pea' Amicia?)

o

I've heard of childrens gardens that are planted with everything having an animal name... leopard's bane...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here