Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_mohave__kid

The Other End Of The Stick .. A Tip For New Contractors...

The_Mohave__Kid
18 years ago

... show up and you will be miles ahead of the competition.

I now find myself now on the buying end instead of the selling end of the stick now that I am considering adding two rooms to the second level of my home.

The results are not yet all in but so far :

One architect showed up but never followed up with a promised proposal.

One architect was too expert to do such a small project ( OK at least he was straight up ).

Another contractor said I need a plan first ( fair enough ) and refered me to a residential designer but the designer is too busy for room additions.

More then a half a dozen never returned my call.

Tonight one never showed up.

ONE contractor so far showed up and gave an estimate.

Keep in mind all these contractors ect. advertised they do room additions. Two more appointments are scheduled for Friday .. we'll see.

I may be forced to simply buy a bigger house !!!

Good Day ...

Comments (6)

• watergal
    18 years ago

And then we had the guy who came in with an estimate so incredibly high that it was obvious he either didn't want the job or thought we were total morons!

I have friends and family in the Washington, DC area, and getting anyone to show up there is nearly impossible - just too much business to do.

We did a similar addition about 5 years ago. I called about 8 contractors, interviewed 3, and ended up with a real gem (the one with the price in the middle, and he really knew his stuff and had an in-house architect). Hang in there and good luck!

• calliope
    18 years ago

In my next life, I'm coming back as a contractor. LOL. If you can get one to even come give you an estimate here, you are ahead of the game.

The skilled trades are simply where it's at for an ambitious young person with a work ethic. I find so many who would normally do work like this are busy subcontracting for the big boys who need it done NOW. This is why I taught myself to plaster walls. It was DIY or don't get it done.

• bambooo
    18 years ago

If you show up and do what you agree to do you will never have to spend much on advertising.
    It's really that simple.

• Garrickza
    18 years ago

Exactly the same storey over here..these guys make too much money too easily to bother with little details like showing up or an appointment. They do you a great favour even giving a quote.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Common practice, if not common courtesy? A different meaning for "too busy to care"? I don't think picking from the cream, ignoring the rest is unusual for those who have gotten enough action to be able to do so. I even know somebody engaged in a non-commercial activity who only responds to the submissions that meet certain criteria. Others fill out paperwork, send in photos etc. and never hear anything back.

• The_Mohave__Kid
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Two contractors showed up Friday ... Hooray.

I recieved a call Saturday morning from a contractor that supposed to be here last Tuesday by my book but says he is reconfirming his appointment for Saturday 9:30 AM ... still in bed and just waking up I say .. look anytime before 12:00 would be fine ... OK he said .. never again to be seen !!! Nuts.

Good Day ...

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths