Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryster

excess sulfur burning pansies

terryster
17 years ago

In attempting to lower the PH of the peatbased soiless mix that I use, I added Disper-sul ( 90% sulfur in a water soluble pelleted form) to the top of the soil in the pots as I transplanted the pansies. Now, 2.5 wks later, the sulfur is sitting on the stems and burning/rotting the stem of the pansy.

My question is how to neutralize the sulfuric acid so that the sulfur will stop burning the plant? The sulfur is non-leachable-so I can't leach it out. Watering speeds up the process of dying back. My only thought to neutralize the sulfur is to take hydrated lime and apply it through the injector. The only info I could find is that it takes 3 lbs of lime to neutralize 1 lb of sulfur. Given that each pot has about .5 teaspoon of sulfur, I would then use 1.5 teaspoon of hydrated lime. Works out to half strength lime-.5T of lime/gallon of water. I am just not sure that this will stop the burning of the stem, and it will raise the PH-which was the opposite of what I was trying to accomplish.

The soiless mix has a lime charge in it, and in previous years-even using a 21-7-7 fert ( 1500acid) and sulfuric acid every week, was only able to get the PH down to 6. Pansies require a PH of 5.4 to 5.8 ideally. Hence my trying the Disper-sul. Any thoughts or suggestions? I would really appreciate the help-thanks in advance

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio