Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickz5

selling potted lilies

vickz5
13 years ago

does anyone sell POTTED lilies, asiatic, orienpet, species varieties...? i ordered an assortment of a few unusual varieties to sell potted next spring. do you store bulbs (cool/dry) and pot in spring? i read i can store them potted in unheated shop for winter. in late march-april water them-top with slow release fertilizer, once sprouted (about 2 wks.) bring out for light. the idea sounds tempting as spring time saver, but $ investment too .. any advice??

Comments (6)

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

No, people I deal with sell the bulbs in Fall or Spring. And they will probably not last if not planted in something over the fall/winter.

• vickz5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pamghatten yep.. most others here do as well.. so you think i should plant them in ground when they arrive this fall? next year dig up-sell as bulbs, rather than potted? my business is basically spring, thought it might be something different to try. thanx for input.

• calliope
    13 years ago

I used to buy them in early winter and force them potted for spring along with my run of Easter lilies in my greenhouses. Lily forcing is an old and almost lost art anymore and is not for the uninitiated or faint of heart. LOL.

• vickz5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

calliope hmmm. i'm not crazy about the idea of forcing them out of season, although it is interesting. i'm going to try the instructions i found. basically emphasis on well drained soil, water til moist, store pots cool and dark (for rooting) till growth breaks soil, then move outdoors. i'll probably try a few of each variety (i'm sure some do better than others)and i will let you know how it goes...lol...another experiment.

• calliope
    13 years ago

Well, I see you are in zone five and I'll throw a couple things at you. If you received the stock this fall, and want to grow them on in pots as nursery stock to sell for planting next spring or summer there is a protocol to follow.

Yes, they should root in well before winter hits but in your zone you can't just set them outside in pots. They'll need root protection normally provided by most growers in perennial houses, where they're watered when needed and given root protection and kept with their dormancy unbroken. If you just stack the pots outside somewhere they may not survive. That being said, if you have an area with loose soil, like a veggie garden or a sand pit, you can sink those pots down just past the rims and cover with soil, like you are planting them inground with no pots then cover them over with straw or mulch and let nature take its course. When you see emergence next spring, dig them out and procede like you would with any other nursery stock. If you don't have a dedicated shade or perennial overwintering house and plan to grow stuff like this, you might want to look into building a structure.

• vickz5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

calliope, i will try some buried pots in loose sandy spot.... good idea. the insructions i found put much emphasis on sandy soil mix for drainage, to avoid rotting. i have an old coal room in my basement(great for starting many seeds,45 deg)i will also try some in there, kept dark. you are right about needing a structure though, it is time. i've avoided it so far by putting things back in the ground-then in spring i'm at the mercy of mother nature getting everything potted. and you can imagine how reliable she is in illinois. thanks for your help calliope.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio