Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizh_gw

stable grid or equiv. for residential driveway?

elizh
13 years ago

I would be happy to post this somewhere else, if anyone can suggest a more appropriate forum (permaculture?)... but it would be great if anyone can offer professional experience.

This is for an old New England farmhouse that currently has a level, large (140' x 15' wide) semicircular asphalt driveway. The driveway has been patched several times & has substantial cracks, so it really needs to be redone. Two cars park on it most of the time, and after ten years of this the asphalt has sunk where their tires sit. We've considered granite setts but 1) that's a lot of setts 2) might not be great for snowblower 3) I realized that there are materials (e.g. 'stable grid') that would stabilize the surface but still support grass or a grassy look.

I would love to hear about potential issues, lifetime of different products, etc. Hoping that the existing coarse gravel underlay would be a good base, even if it needs a finer topping or something. And I guess we would need to find a local team (landscapers? driveway guys?) to install it.

Thanks!

Comment (1)