Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
online classes

Posted by growgirl_grow (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 07 at 19:28

I have a 2year associates degree in Horticulture but would like more knowledge.
There are no other colleges close by and I am a working mother and wife.
Are there any online courses in the Horticultural field available or is it all a bunch of crap.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: online classes

I am taking a few this fall at the University of Maryland. They are pretty basic level courses that I'm sure you've had (Insects of Ornamentals & Turfgrass, and Pesticides). I have to take these to get my pesticide applicator's license. I'm just starting, but so far they seem like they'll be helpful.

There are some other colleges in Maryland that also offer some hort classes online, but they cost more. If you want details, let me know.

Depending on what you need it for, you can often get a lot of the same knowledge for free just by reading books from your local library or good web sites. Are you working in the field now, or looking to get into it, or is it just for your personal enrichment?

o
RE: online classes

Try working part time at a local nursery. My friends did that while we were in college, and I couldn't believe how much they knew about plants- plus they were getting paid for it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here