Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden phlox questions

Posted by fleur z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 19:40

Is it possible to propagate tall garden phlox from cuttings at this time of year? Are stem cuttings OK? Does anyone have any idea how long it would take to root? I'm propagating using IBA and willow water in a 3 parts perlite to 2 parts planting mix with a hydrated large watergel crystal in the bottom of the container.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden phlox questions

it does take a while to get a tall phlox to expand like this but once it gets going yummmm

I allow mine to self propergate by cutting spent flowers and tucking them into the middle of the stems as the leaves wilt I add a handfull or two of there garden soil with the leaves and tap it in to the base
I then let the stems stand as is untill 2 inches of leaf is seen in springcreating new stems I then cut the old stems and dig it up and seperate it into sections of size of four or five each and return them with in division back into garden.. You can do this divison into a 2 quart pot as well.
I would assume your method looks correct but a guess would be concidering rotting hormone as it is a step for cuttings on different own root growers

from one single tall phlox I got 3 stalks taking two years years the following year I got 5 stems on the forth 3 more every year after I now get an avg 6 stem from three second generation talls in two different but close spots next spring I am going to say yummmmmmmmm I predict a total of 36 which will all get a 5 to 6 stalk split from the second generation stems and 6 from the inital one which will get split into 3 stalks

good luck on your efforts on propergating that way

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here