Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creative tips for raking gravel?

Posted by gata z4 NH (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 07 at 19:51

On walkways in formal garden setting have you found an easy and effective way to get the leaves and pine needles off without bringing up the gravel as well? I'm thinking a soil sifter might work, but I doubt if the screen is of large enough diameter.
what kind of rake do you like to use?
Any other helpful tips?
thanks,
Gata

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creative tips for raking gravel?

These are a pain but when kept clean they're really beautiful.

To maintain those gravel walkways - I use a regular metal leaf rake. It does a fairly decent job of picking up debris and smoothing out footprints and other irregularites. Just lightly skim over the surface.

It works rather nicely without gouging deep lines in the gravel like the flat rake does. It also requires a minimal investment as these types of rakes are usually around $10.

If you have some more money to spent, probably the most effective method is a leaf blower. However, I recommend practicing with it first as it can blow the gravel right into the beds if you're not careful.

o

I use a leaf blower than go over with a bamboo rake. In the spring I use "Preen" to keep weeds from germinating.

o

Gravel walkways that I have seen, particularly in England, have such fine gravel that I do not see how a blower could possibly be used. Will a blower really work with the fine gravel? I love the sound of the gravel crunching underfoot, but never put one in my garden because of my trees.

o

Fine gravel pathways are a mess. Use 1/2" chip rock without the fines, keeps the weeds out, and blow it while leaves are dry if possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here