Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul122

fertilization of container grown ornamentals

paul122
12 years ago

Hello, I have a lot of questions on my mind, and since I'm newbie grower have mercy with me. This year we moved from growing trees in soil to growing in containers. So far everything looks fine but a lot of new concerns has appeared... shading, fertilizing, precise watering. First of all, we have no shading so far. We use terracota containers but they get quite warm in full sun so I wonder what experienced nursery men use for shading. Overhead shading by shading nets has proved to be a problem as we are located in windy area. Fertilization: We bought few 25kg sacks of multicote 6m 15-7-15 fertilizer. How much of it should be used for 3 litre container? And is it gonna be enough for whole growing season, or should we add liquid fertilization as well? Is it acceptable to top dress multicote and then put juta sheets as mulch on top of it? Containers: At the moment, we use 2 litre containers (17 cm in diameter), but we intend to move to 4 litre containers (21cm) for conifers and 3 litre containers(19cm) for broadleaves. How much time does it gives us until we have to replant them into bigger ones or eventually discard them?

thanks in advance, Paul

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus