Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would you recommend a 4 year degree in horticulture?

Posted by mike758 Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 20:15

I'm definitely interested in the horticulture industry. I don't have any jobs lined up or anything but from what I understand it's a broad industry with a lot of jobs, including not a lot, but some high paying. Now I was thinking about going to a 4 year local college, temple university ambler campus, to get a 4 year degree in horticulture. It's not a top horticulture school like penn state but it won't put me into a whole lot of debt either, because it's about $12k a year and I would commute. Some people on another forum post recommended things like trade school and internships. I was wondering though, would you recommend these over a degree or add some to a degree? There is a local 3 year free trade school called williamson free trade school, which I very hard to get into but they look like they have a good program too.

This post was edited by mike758 on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 15:34

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would you recommend a 4 year degree in horticulture?

Williamson appears to have a good program.....but you'll have to think long and hard about enrolling in a buttoned up, strict, religious, all male institution. Wearing a suit and tie from dawn to dark every day is not something that a lot of young men would like. :-)

The good thing about this sort of program is that you can, in all likelihood, transfer to a university as full junior (or better) for more advanced coursework. IF you want to, of course.

Good luck with your decision, whatever it is.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 14:54

o

I don't care if it's not fun, I'm mainly looking to do what's best for my future. Now it's true that a lot of kids only go to certain places so they can party, but I'm not one of those. I'd rather sacrifice 3 years of fun for a better career. So I mean unless I change my career choice, Williamson, temple university ambler, and maybe even internships are my possibilities on the table, I'm looking to do what's best career wise.

o

You will have to decide, by your careful research, if Williamson carries a good reputation in the real world. Are graduates sought for employment? Does it have full transfer agreements with other four year schools?

If yes to those questions, and you qualify for admission, a technical college is often a very good place to start an educational journey. How far you take your education depends on what your goals are. At this point, you have no earthly idea what your future holds! It might be smart to stick your toe in the water slowly.

I will tell you this, my four year degree from a university with a great reputation opened door after door to me that would not have been opened otherwise. How well I did in those positions, however was entirely up to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here