Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
califajoy_gw

Clients block me

califajoy
19 years ago

One of my clients stop picking my call, did not return my call, should I go their home and knock the door? it seems very foolish, I am in the middle of the work, I want to complete the work and receive payment, the clients gave me 25% initial payment, do I have right to collect the rest of design fee?

This is the only client that husband and wife had totally opposite ideas, every meeting I spent almost four hours with them, I was patient to listen, it was very hard to work on that project, that is the job I spent too much time and not make enough money. Can I ask client real answer why they block me? Did I do something wrong? I know I will never get the answer.

Should I respect their choice, not to bother them, forget about it?

One more question, how do I prevent this happen again?

Comments (67)

• veronicastrum
    19 years ago

I have to agree with Rosa; I do believe there are far too many Americans who equate less-than-perfect English with a less-than-perfect intellect.

I think you would be wise to invest in a well-designed print flier that highlights some of your work. Work with someone on the language to ensure that it's absolutely perfect and flows well. Then when you get a referral, mail that off immediately. Unless it's absolutely urgent, wait a couple of days to call, so they have an example of your work in hand before they speak with you.

Second, I would be concerned about the cell phone. Did you call on the cell phone because that was convenient, or do you not have a land line? If you don't have a land line, I would consider investing in it along with a good quality phone. Make sure that the tools you use for communication don't add to your difficulty. I know I have had a much harder time understanding some people with accents when I am on my cell phone versus a better quality phone.

Good luck, Califajoy, you seem to be trying hard!

V.

• landscapelight
    19 years ago

I will guarantee you this person has no credentials, probably does not pay proper income tax and has absolutely no right to be in business. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a duck. It's unprofessionals like this that give the green industry a bad name. Shame on you for supporting and encouraging this kind of behavior.

• laag
    19 years ago

A client looking for landscape design work will hire a good designer whether he or she has an accent or not. I think that is not an issue unless communication is extremely difficult. Califajoy communicates well. I grew up watching people treat my father with high respect despite his accent. That is not the problem.

• bonsai_audge
    19 years ago

I don't think an accent really has to do with anything, much like Laag said. But what I do think that matters most is the ability to convey ideas. An accent doesn't really have much to do with it, but if one cannot word their ideas in a clear and concise manner, people will find it hard to interact with said person.

The professional gardener forums isn't an english grammar class, but part of being a professional in the field of landscape design does require the ability to communicate ideas clearly at the very least, as that is an integral part of the business.

-Audric

• miss_rumphius_rules
    19 years ago

The art of effective communication includes much more than spoken language. Something is not being communicated effectively, and unless we are on the receiving end, we'll never know what is missing.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

landscapelight, you have absolutely no justification for your statement. It is not based on any firsthand knowledge and therefore specious in the extreme and smacks of bigotry. All of us started out in this business with varying degrees of knowledge and skill level and professionalism is a learned skill - so is politeness - and some of us learn it faster and better than others. Supporting and encouraging increased professionalism is what this forum is all about - not for demeaning someone who is obviously somewhat new to the game and has the added disadvantage of a language barrier.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it must be a duck and an unpleasantly rude one at that.

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

I have encouraged civility in these forums over the years; however, something is odd about Calijoy's posts. There seems to be something of a disconnect between the novice level of questions he is posing and the advanced level of design/installations he is describing. Something that goes beyond any confusion wrought by the English as a second language issue.

I think maybe that is where some of the confusion and hostility is coming from.

I have aked that Calijoy tell us a bit about him/herself so we can place him in terms of training and experience. He has not responded. Others have asked him to post his contract. Again, no dice. INK has written that he suspects Calijoy may be a bogus poster having fun asking crazy questions in the forums.

It seems that something is missing here. Again, as Ms. R. writes: "Something is not being communicated effectively, and unless we are on the receiving end, we'll never know what is missing."

If Calijoy reveals himself a bit, he may be better received. Or a least experience less hostility.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

Do you think Calijoy has anything to do with bananas ?

hmmmmmmm. Or least some sort of convoluted association ?

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

Convoluted asociation:

Remember the Woody Allen film, "Bananas," Michelle? Allen is a nebbishy-type guy who goes to San Marcos for a vacation and becomes the revolutionary head of the country thru a series of mishaps . . . h-mmmmmmm, indeed.

• Cady
    19 years ago

Reminds me of "3 Billy Goats Gruff." The troll character. I smell troll.

• landscapelight
    19 years ago

What a waste of space

• LinLee
    19 years ago

This is curiousÂand I could be totally off on this.
    But, there has always been a strange rhythm, or lack
    there of in CalÂs posts.
    Sometimes the Âthe and ÂonÂs are dropped then the
    very next sentence is complete and dare I sayÂvery
    American in the turn of the phrase.
    Just an observation.

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

Not a complete waste of space as, despite the source, good questions were asked and answered; lurkers and posters alike no doubt learned something from the replies to the various posts. The thread on California regional style was pretty interesting and informative, too.

• califajoy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I am glad the forum remain open, and I see lots of answers, thank you for concerning.

I am a real person, don't need to guess who I am, until one day, I become rich and famous... my accent doesn't bother most of clients, acturally they feel I am special, when clients become good friends, that is the most valuable for me. Some people close door to me, I still think positive, I believe good project will come soon.

I just open a showroom, my partner helped me a lot, it is a cosy place, near the beach, I am looking for high quality garden furnishing, I mean the best quality, do you know any vendor?

Another showroom I am working with other partner, that is very big project, it will be nursery convert to garden. I am interviewing, but it is hard to find compatible employee, maybe you can give me some ideas.

• Rosa
    19 years ago

No doubt you are a real person califajoy. But it's hard t help you not knowing anything about you. I don't mean your name or address or where you live, but your gender, experience, etc.., would help alot. As one poster said,
    "All taking and no giving does not make for a good balanced exchange on these forums." Without some giving here you may find that no one want to contribute suggestions to your questions/problems.

I too am seeing something that doesn't quite fit. Califajoy,You say that you and your partner opened a showroom and you are wondering where to purchase really high quality gardening furnishings? What the heck do you have in it now?
    What are you interviewing for-the job,to work as a partner with someone or interviewing people to work with you??

• inkognito
    19 years ago

Curiouser and curiouser. Califajoy in wonderland.
    Here is someone who cannot negotiate a contract, has no idea how to communicate with either client or contractor, has two different partners involved in showrooms with nothing to show, was once an estimator but does not know how much to charge. It can only be make believe.
    You have had your fun boyo now buzz off.
    So that no one gets the idea that I am being frivolous let me say that there are a lot of hard working and genuine people who come to this forum for support and stuff like this is demeaning to them and their supporters.

• bonsai_audge
    19 years ago

And also, why do you keep on changing the topic? I mean, first you ask the question on what to do if a client blocks you, then you come up with a situation where you have a quick phonecall with a potential customer, then after that you say that you're opening a showroom.

Also, you say that you are dealing with quite a few design projects. It seems that in every single thread there's another project with another problem. You have "severl custom home design project over an acre."

AND, your business is little over a month old. In Vectorworks 11 design program, you stated, "I just start my design service." The date? Thursday, October 21, 2004. And since then, you have gotten several large custom projects, a project that you're in the middle of, a showroom open and yet another in the making. You must have been at that proverbial "perfect spot at the perfect time".

-Audric

• rusty_blackhaw
    19 years ago

It can be quite difficult to find the high quality garden furnishing, yes.

But we are here to help.

{{gwi:1165320}}

Here is a link that might be useful: high-end stuff

• Rosa
    19 years ago

nice stuff, Eric.....LMAO!!!

• Rosa
    19 years ago

Califajoy, you can obviously use the computer for this forum and others but cannot search the internet for plants in your region that attract bees? And you can't think of any either??? If you have no other resources or experience than this, your clients are in BIG trouble and you are way out of your league.

RE: plant police/invasive plant list from customer
    Posted by: califajoy (My Page) on Tue, Nov 2, 04 at 23:04

anyone knows what plants attract bees?

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

I am especially pleased to see ethnic diversity amongst the lawn jockies.
    Finally politically correct lawn ornaments .

Scoop 'em up Calijoy !

• miss_rumphius_rules
    19 years ago

One must be politically correct and very careful in these uncertain times when using certain garden ornaments.

Here is a link that might be useful: PC gardening

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

How come they're all looking in one direction but the cannons are pointing in another?

• rusty_blackhaw
    19 years ago

One must prepare for the eventuality of a flank attack by those durn Yankees. Fortunately there are stone Civil War soldier statues available as reinforcements.

I don't know if the phenomenon of dressing one's stone geese has come to southern California, but now is the time to get ahead of the curve. The "Biker Girl" goose outfit (see link) is especially striking.

• veronicastrum
    19 years ago

Eric, I'm extremely PO'd that you posted that picture of my yard without asking my permission!

V.

• janengland
    19 years ago

I just popped into this forum and am now in tears laughing at Eric's helpful photo, link, and subsequent posts...we see this stuff (lawn jockeys, haute couture geese, etc. ) in Florida all the time. I hate that we no longer have the monopoly on 'tacky'...sigh. Oh, BTW, where's califajoy? I can give him the butterfly plant list.

• Cady
    19 years ago

Dang, Eric! I've been looking for a lawn cannon for ages! Where'd you find those?!

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

In Miami they're probably all pointed at Havana.

• deeproots
    19 years ago

ron, miami is too far south...
    the invasion already landed, Orlando is almost taken.

Seems us Georgians are still here to keep the 'spaniards' outta the states.
    We mostly put them to work harvesting chickens and picking tomatoes.

dp

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

"We mostly put them to work harvesting chickens and picking tomatoes"

Is this what you mean, DeepRoots?

http://www.ciw-online.org/slavery.html

Regards,
    Ginger

• deeproots
    19 years ago

I havn't seen that locally, heard about it in southern fl tho...
    to be honest with you, most of the mexicans around here make more than I do.
    Course I payem $8-14 an hour when the going rate is $4-$6. (course most of em are smarter than me)
    *shrugs*
    I just drive down to lil mexico city and go to the 'mexican unemployment office' (actually a trailer that about 6 families live in)
    the ones I hire are refugees from Chiapas more than anything.
    Good guys, the lot of em, and considering the local white trash won't work its a good thing we have them.

Didn't mean to come off racist, just really the reality of the situation.

dp

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

Nah,
    He's just being a good Christian ... just ask Bush.

Leviticus 25:44 states that you may possess slaves, both male and
    female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations.
    A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not to Canadians.
    King George can you clarify ? Why can't I own Canadians?

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

Maybe they won't work, either, just like the local "white trash". But: who's gonna keep the Georgians outta the states? Aw now, don't go seein' red on me...

Is this thread still having "a failyuh tuh communicate"?

• deeproots
    19 years ago

good thinking mich, so can I go to alabama and rustle up some slaves?

and ron, most georgians (atlanta metro excluded) havn't been outta thier counties, let alone the state. I wouldn't worry bout them invading other territories.

• Cady
    19 years ago

Trouble is, you gotta let 'em go free after 7 years, or let them buy their freedom. The turnover and having to train the new guys is a killer.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

The Hebrews get all the good breaks... they get to go free after just 6 years : Exodus 21:2

But if you sell your daughter into slavery she's gotta stick to the 7 year rule.. and no partying inbetween, only the guys can do that.
    ( the goils get the shaft again! )
    Exodus 21.7

• Cady
    19 years ago

Hey, at least they get to glean the outside edges of fields when they're widowed.

• landscapelight
    19 years ago

what a waste of space

• SeniorBalloon
    19 years ago

Buck up delight. Your life can't be that bad.

Cheers,
    jb

• punamytsike
    19 years ago

Wow, that was great, I actually got a bible lesson.

• radwmack
    19 years ago

Just passing through, and stumbled onto this thread...ROTFLMAO!!!

• Cady
    19 years ago

It wasn't a waste of space after all. Our job here is done.

• NOTHO__NANTUCKET
    19 years ago

Help Mr. Wizard!!!!! trissle, trussle, trassle, trone time for this one to come home. Whitey B. is calling thee. N.N.

• califajoy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

how to close this topic?

• superphosphate
    19 years ago

Get out of the landscape businss.

The nursery business is so much more commoditized.
    A pricing problem? Leave it to the best execution desk.

• mjsee
    16 years ago

Oh. my. goodness. Came across this thread while searching for something...and thought y'all might enjoy a walk through the past.

Love y'all!

melanie

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

I think actually there are quite a few people talking their way into - or maybe being given substantial projects through some other means, like referrals from contacts - who don't have it all put together yet. Somebody coming from overseas could even be a political refugee who made piles of money in the old country and can fairly easily get a shop or office started here because they have the means to pay for the it even if they haven't identified all the vendors and so forth.

• inkognito
    16 years ago

Say what beaboy?

• laag
    16 years ago

What really freightens me is that this was 3 years ago. Just how long have I been doing this?

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

>Say what beaboy?I don't think somebody doing landscape projects - design or installation - that doesn't have it all together before they are getting the work is that rare. And somebody coming from say, Hong Kong because the political climate changed there might have lots of money to throw into setting up shop without having found out everything about what they were doing yet.

Other than that you can stop following me around the site and targeting me anytime. Misspelling my screen name makes your intent transparent - as if it needed to be shown. If you were speaking to someone in person would you mis-pronounce their name?

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals