Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightstorm_gw

Beginner Needs Help: What Is My Gardening Region (Not Zone)?

MidnightStorm
17 years ago

Hi:

I need help quick! I posted on the Region forum but haven't had any responses so I'm going straight to the professionals.

IÂve just moved to Huntington, West Virginia from Wilmington, North Carolina. I brought many of my garden plants with me when I moved. Huntington is located right on the border of where Ohio, West Virginia, and Kentucky meet. This area is considered Zone 6 but thatÂs about all I know.

When I lived in Wilmington I ordered a wonderful book from Amazon called ÂMonth by Month Gardening in the CarolinasÂ. This book was very helpful to me since I am new to gardening.

I went back to the Amazon site yesterday so I could order a monthly gardening book that was geared to my new area. However, I didnÂt see any books that were specifically for this area. There was a ÂMonth-by-Month Gardening in Tennessee and KentuckyÂ, and a Month-by-Month Gardening in Ohio and a ÂMonth-by-Month Gardening in the Mid-Atlantic (Delaware, Virginia, and Washington, DC)Â.

Does anyone know which of these books would be more appropriate for the Huntington, West Virginia area? If not, can you point me in a direction where I can find out? Because I am a beginner gardener and need to get a book quickly so I'll know which of my plants may be in danger from colder weather in my new zone.

Thanks so much for your help.

Comments (3)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

I'd think that either the MbyM for Ohio or Kentucky/Tennessee would work, based on your unique location but I'm not sure that either is absolutely necessary. A general plant encylcopedia will provide enough hardiness information on a very wide range of plants so that you can determine which may need additional winter protection in your new location. The American Horticultural Society publishes an excellent one, as is 'Flora', published by Timber Press.

Your biggest concern may be the hardiness of any broadleaved evergreen shrubs you may have relocated - broadleaved evergreens seem to have far less of a tolerance for temperature swings out of their typical hardiness zones (which tend to be somewhat narrow) than do most deciduous plants. It's a bit of a generalization, but most trees, conifers and perennials have a far wider hardiness range than broadleaved evergreens and have a greater ability to withstand colder weather without protection.

• MidnightStorm
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for your assistance. When I moved I brought with me the plants below. They are all now in pots and sitting on the deck of my temporary rental property awaiting my move to a home I'm building that will be ready next summer.

Unknown Hydrangea
    Endless Summer Hydrangia
    Wintson Churchill Fuchsia
    Zeperine Drouhin climbing roses
    Climbing American Beauty roses
    Tree Form Japanese Wisteria
    Rosemary
    Strawberries
    Raspberries
    Apple Mint
    Chives
    Thyme
    Butterfly Bush
    Mexican Sage
    Mexican Petunia
    White Heliotrope
    Lantana
    Unknown Wild Rose

I'll look up the 'Flora' book you mentioned and check it out. I liked the Month-by-Month Gardening in the Carolinas because it was set up in an easy-for-dummies type of format so I'd still like to get one for my new region along with a few other publications.

Again . . . thank you !

• gw:judy-hebe
    17 years ago

I'm sorry to say, but I can tell you right now that a number of the plants you brought are not winter hardy in zone 6. Rosemary, the Winston Churchill fuchsia, Mexican sage, Mexican petunia, heliotrope, & lantana all will not survive winters where you are now.

Any plant that's in a container outside can also be dropped by 2 -3 zones, depending on where the pot is, size of containers, etc. Please be aware that some of the plants you have in containers that would normally make it through a West Virginia winter might not while in containers. The roses will be more liable to freeze & die in the pots too. The ground, although cold & frozen winter, always retains some residual warmth & is far safer than plants in pots.

Is there any place that you can store your plants for now to prevent freezes? Even with such a condition, plants like lantana will not survive prolonged cold, let alone any freezing. My suggestion would be to find a cool greenhouse, not a warm one, where plants could overwinter without danger of being killed. A cool greenhouse is one where night temperatures are kept around 45 F so in your area, that would mean some source of warmth during cold winter days & nights. You just don't want it too warm so that would stimulate growth.

It's really hard to move from a warmer zone to one where many of your beloved plants can't grow. I did that & after 14 years in my cold 'hell', moved back to warmer climes & enjoying it no end.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022