Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_larkin

SOIL Test

Mike Larkin
18 years ago

Any good places to send for Soil Test beside County Extension.

New client lives next to Junk Yard. Has some prior plant death - Want to check soil first. ML

Comments (8)

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    18 years ago

A standard soil test through the county extension (at PSU) wouldn't do your client much good. The tests for leaching chemicals can get pricey so you should first try to narrow the suspect agents down to a few if possible. Organic solvents might be high on the list or petroleum derrivatives (drain oil). Sometimes you just need to look at and smell the soil in the area to help decide what to test for. A&L Labs or Lancaster Labs might be among labs that could do testing.

• weebus
    18 years ago

This may help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil testing labs

• moreilly
    18 years ago

I have some "stuff" in a plastic container that kills plants
    I read the label. I'm not going to see what it smells like. I'm not going to drink it either.
    Do you know what gets dumped in junk yards? I could only guess. I think I'd get that soil sample with a very,very long handled shovel.
    I hear bottled water is big bussiness these days.....

• sam_md
    18 years ago

I agree with bmoser, you can spend alot of money on soil tests but the results may tell you nothing. Look at the soil, does it stink of petroleum? Does it have earthworms and insects in it? Does it look "dead"? Some plant species appear to be capable of living in soil which is being reclaimed.
    The link provided above is outdated. My state's university shut down its soil-testing lab years ago which seems to be a growing trend.
    Sam

• weebus
    18 years ago

You could have toxic levels of petroleum and never smell it. Guarnateed. I am sure, out of all the listed labs, there is one he could use. Sorry you found the ONE not in operation.

He said the EXTENSIONS tests may not do any good. Losing crops is more expensive than any soil test I can come up with.

• dabprop
    18 years ago

Do get soil tests and get the ones for heavy metals along with petroleum.

Take it to their nearest office(extention service)have them explain it to you if needed.

I would not think of doing any plantings other than adding remediation plants and work on the soil for several years until I get a good quality soil for any plantings.

Of course if your client has $ the process could be speeded up a bit.

Jackie

• inkognito
    18 years ago

If you are serious (and getting paid to be so) it would be advantageous to study the history of the site. It is not unknown for surface treatments (ie cover the cr*p with top soil) to be used to cover up a multitude of sins. You could check yellow pages for a soil engineer who would advise you including seepage from the junk yard.
    Failing that your client could (borrowing from another thread elsewhere) try a "For Sale" sign in the front yard.

• miss_rumphius_rules
    18 years ago

Julie Bargmann at UVA is doing a lot of work with industrial reclaimation and highly polluted sites. Check out her website linked below. I'd give her office a call for some guidance...

Here is a link that might be useful: DIRT

Sponsored