Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahb44_gw

Off-season ideas

sarahb44
16 years ago

Hi! I work at a small, family-run stone yard. We sell to a mix of landscapers, masons and homeowners. This year has already been tough due to the drought here in Georgia, but we're heading into the winter now which is always difficult to get through! I was wondering if any one has had any creative ideas for something that could be sold through the fall and winter months to boost business a bit. We considered firewood, but found that it is nearly impossible to make a profit at it. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Comments (9)

• heptacodium
    16 years ago

If you find the magic answer, let us know, okay?

I'm gonna guess that there is little call for snow removal in GA, one of the more common winter income opportunities for people in green or associated businesses.

Firewood is a good idea, although for some reason, people seem to think we still live in the 1950s. I know places where you can make good money at it ($300 and higher a cord, more if you have birch), but each market is a little different.

I've seen people do antiques, I know one guy who fixes furniture, pet stores, bake shops, a few who do trucking, some that do construction/remodeling or related jobs...or as the saying gos, anything to make a buck...and that they have some kind of interest/expertise in.

• watergal
    16 years ago

Around here, the garden centers get really big into selling holiday decorations - trees, ornaments, etc. Some companies to professional holiday decorating - setting up and decorating trees and wreaths for high-end office buildings, and then storing them until next year.

• txlandscapedesign
    16 years ago

How about Poinsettas? I know the landscape nursery I design for sells a ton of them for the holidays and makes a huge profit off of them each year. Make sure they are big plants and get them in different colors. They're even thinking of selling them at a local outdoor mall this year and setting up a booth with a cash register...just some ideas.

• sarahb44
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all! Those are great ideas. We just looked into Christmas trees, but I guess you have to place your order in the spring! I think we will give it a shot next year, though. Poinsettas may really work. Someone else around here suggested pumpkins for next year.

Heptacodium, unfortunately, snow removal is not an option here! Firewood only goes for about $200 a cord. I can't find a supplier to get it to me for much less than that! It might be worthwhile next year, though. Even if I don't make a great profit at it, it would get people in the doors.

• nandina
    16 years ago

Perhaps what is needed here is an educational program via newspaper advertising that the cool of winter is the time to do rock work in GA. There are so many DIY'ers constructing ponds, walkways and patios that this might be the time for a sale and offering a few Saturday teaching lessons to the public. Homeowners are always looking for ideas and construction tips. Sell what you know best...stone and stonework.

• nwnatural
    16 years ago

How about grey water system installations? :)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Do you normally sell plants? Do you have the facilities for accommodating them? Pointsettas are not the easiest plant to grow and care for. They are extremely sensitive to temperature fluctations and cold drafts, so need a protected, warm and relatively humid environment. They are also mass produced and are available during the holidays everywhere - grocery stores, the box stores, Walgreens, every retail nursery or garden center than has an enclosed sales area, even the corner gas station - often at very low prices. Unless you have the proper facilities for them and can bring them in at a very low cost (typically associated with very large volumes), these may not be the off-season monyemakers you envision. We sell hundreds at my nursery and barely break even on them.

Personally, I'd stick to something more closely related to your primary business. What about mulches - pine straw, bark, cocoa bean hulls, etc? Fall into winter is an excellent time for the application of mulch.

• laag
    16 years ago

Gardengal makes the key point - what do you normally sell?

I see garden centers make themselves fun family destinations in the off season. I visited a "Haunted Maze" made out of hay bales just a couple of hours ago. Others bring in turkeys for Thanksgiving, and other animals and Santa for Christmas. But, they also have seasonal things for sale such as pumpkins, straw bales, seasonal decorations,live xmas trees, and fake ones. I'm not sure you are going to sell boulders to parents as their kids pet the Fallow Deer.

Craft supplies with crafting classes being offered can be a pretty good attraction. Adults need things to do as well. If you are not a crafter yourself, you might find someone who will charge your customers a small fee and you can sell them the product (and continue to sell them product).

Again, you have to have a suitable facility, little competion, and a good location to pull it off.

• timbu
    16 years ago

Do you already do gravestones?
    Stone sinks, indoor water features - is there interest in these?

Sponsored