Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating patented plants?

Posted by ellysgarden Ca, z9 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 1, 08 at 16:36

I started a backyard nursery a couple of years ago and I am still learning a lot. I recently purchased a plant to propagate, but learned that it is patented and illegal to propagate without a license. What kind of license are they talking about? I have my nursery license and business license and sellers permit. Is that what they are talking about? Please fill me in!

Thanks.
Elly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating patented plants?

They are talking about a license from the patent holder. It's a contract.

o

Thank you for the information!

o

And depending on the breeder, you may not get permission to propagate their plant. Most of the breeders sell their cuttings to licensed "root & sell" stations who root the cuttings in some type of liner, then sell to other greenhouses to finish and sell retail. Most do NOT allow you to take cuttings and root them yourself.

o

I don't think any of them would give you permsission on a onesie-twosie basis. I have propagation licenses with two breeders, and it involved visits from inspectors from the royalty administrations. Not cost effective.

I've been in the business two decades now and have seen lots of changes in those years, especially involving patents and propagation options. Like most other businesses, floriculture is becoming increasingly central and several major entities are and have been gobbling up the smaller breeders. That's when "rooting stations" came into their own.

Back when I first started growing, many of the breeders would have options on their contracts where you had the option of taking a set of cuttings, and paid the royalty 'up front' on them when you purchased the liner stock for growing on. I haven't seen one of those contracts in many moons.

You'll also notice that the label vendors are seriously cutting back on their 'generic' plant labels, instead making available only those tags for patented varieties. I had ordered labels a couple years back for Montauk daisies, I had propagated from quite legal general stock. When I got the labels from the vendor, on them were the advertisement for one distributing entity, who supposedly was selling an improved strain. No other labels were available from my usual sources. I have found that to be increasingly common, as are the increasingly common problems finding stock NOT patented. As soon as it goes out of patent, it's replaced by a New Improved substitute, whether it's improved or not.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 4, 08 at 20:31

It's all about making it pay. As in other fields, the profit motive takes over and big boys arise and dominate. Things are lost along the way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here