Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetpea_path

Which brand hoophouse or cold frame do you have?

sweetpea_path
18 years ago

I've been researching the different manufacturers of hoophouses & polytunnels and cold frames. There are sure a lot of options out there! What I'm looking for is something that's about 8-10 feet high in the inside center, maybe about 20' wide by 35' long, that's easy to construct, that I can purchase as a "kit" and then put together with one other person, and won't cost me a fortune.

I'll post a link below to show you what I'm after, although I'm open to different options for the ends/doors. I'd like to get some recommendations from growers/small nurseries that already have them before I bite the bullet and purchase one. So, what brand do you have? What do you like and not like about it?

Thanks! Sweetpea

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummert cold frame

Comments (5)

• just_curious
    18 years ago

Haygrove Tunnels are well made and have good grower support.

• calliope
    18 years ago

I have five different structures and they are made by five different manufacturers. Each one was constructed for a specific environment and purpose. I looked at the design and costs on that site and they are well within reason and it looks like a good system.

You need to assess your needs first. Snow load? Gonna heat it or would that be an option in the future? Benches or on ground growing? Crop needs....ie straight sides versus quonset design. The quonset does away with a lot of space one sometimes heats and wastes, but if you are growing or wintering over large shrubs or trees, they're a bugger. YOu cannot maximise space by putting them near the sides of the structure as the only tall space is directly down the center isle.

The costs with constructing one runs up with the accessories, like vents and heat, benches and water/electricals. For just a cold frame your costs should be spartan.

I usually order mine from my hardgoods brokers by the part, instead of a premade package. Steer away from hobby gardener sources as they seem to have steep mark ups. Your biggest DIY issue are the endwalls.

We have always done our own endwall construction because finished off endwall kits are pricey. Good luck.

• sweetpea_path
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just Curious ~ Haygroves look good, but they require a minimum of 3 bays for stability. I really only need one structure this season.

Calliope ~ you raised some very good questions that I need to consider. I'm hoping to go for as simple a setup as possible -- no heat, no vents, no benches, no electrical. All I need the cold frame for is to put a large crop of hardy lavender plants (in 4" pots in flats) on the ground, under cover for the winter -- basically, keep them from getting rained on all winter. I am in western WA state, so we get only a smathering of snow in January, not really any buildup. But...we do get some pretty serious wind. I like the idea of a cold frame with straight sides (easier on me aging back!), but a quonset style may be better for wind deflection. I agree with you about the cost of endwalls.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

Have you investigated Steuber Distributing in Snohomish? They carry a full line of hoophouses in various sizes and complexities, some pretty simple and straightforward. We use several of their smaller (Sunrise 16) hoops for a similar purpose at my nursery - winter protection for smaller, held-over plants. We also remove the poly during the season and replace with shade cloth and use for a shielded backstock area. Takes two of our production guys about 4 hours to put up and take down. Available as straight hoops or with 3 1/2' sidewalls. Length is variable.
    My catalog is a bit dated but they are pretty economical.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steuber Distributing

• sweetpea_path
    Original Author
    18 years ago

gardengal48 ~ Good suggestion! I've purchased other products from Steuber's, but I didn't know they sold hoops so I really appreciate the heads-up about that. And I really like your idea about removing the poly and replacing with shade cloth in the summer -- can see the usefulness of that. I'm going down there in the next couple of weeks to pick up soil so I'll ask about their hoops while I'm there.

Two more questions for you, if you have a spare moment: 1) how does the poly and/or shade cloth ATTACH to the hoops with Steuber's system, and 2) would you consider their hoops to be fairly wind resistant?

Thanks so much, Sweetpea

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz