Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sedge in liriope-any hope?

Posted by creatrix z7 VA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 22:47

Anybody have any helpful suggestions for getting rampant sedge out of a bed of liriope? There's two kinds- one has runners and is really winning!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sedge in liriope-any hope?

The one with runners sounds like nutsedge. Nutsedge likes moist soil so if you are watering this area cut off the supply. And since it has infested itself, the only thing you can do is to keep handpulling on a continous basis - the other way it spreads is by self-seeding.

o

I saw a product called Sedgehammer that intrigued me, but I haven't tried it. I had the same problem when I first took over a property a couple years ago: I hand pulled it every week during the season and didn't let it go to seed. Barely an issue anymore. Quite the pain when it's amongst other bladed plants! My commiserations.

o

Sedgehammer is labeled for turf and woody ornamentals. It would probably damage the Liriope. I have used it in turf and it works really well. They also have a supplemental label for Horsetail control.
I believe that yellow nutsedge has sterile flowers so it won't reseed. It does have nutlets which are like little bulbs and are incredibly persistent. Check out the next plant you pull and you should see the nutlets forming on the tips of the roots.

o

You do not have to broadcast a herbicide. They can be applied with an artist brush in tight place like flower beds.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 27, 08 at 21:19

Dig it all up, separate out the weeds and replant. You may have to replace the soil first so that there is not re-infestation from remaining fragments.

o

I have used manage min. concentration. the liriope looked a litte sad for a week or to but did not die. maybe I just got lucky.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here