Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscape Designer Fees competitve??

Posted by Hand2 TX (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 23:22

I have been a successful Landscape Designer (not LA) in Houston for the past six years. I currently work primarily in the residential arena providing contract services for local full service landscape companies. I charge a flat fee for landscape designs direct to the client and an hourly fee+ mileage for estimating, site visits, troubleshooting, availability research, etc. to the landscape company I contract with. I sold over $100,000 in landscape installations for one client last year alone.
Does anyone know what an appropriate hourly rate would be for someone with my skill set? I am re-evaluating what direction to go in and how I can best capitalize on my career.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscape Designer Fees competitve??

This is the type of question that will vary enormously from region to region....indeed, even from city to city.

o
RE: Landscape Designer Fees competitve??

^^^ as rhizo said, this is totally region dependent. I went full time after getting laid off in '08 so I couldn't even really go by what was standard for the area because those folks weren't working either. So, I used a freelance rate calculator (see the link below) to set my floor. Honestly, I should probably go back and redo it now that I've been in business for four years and have a better idea of my billable/non-billable split (hint: it's never as good as you hope).

Doing it this way, you may be above or below the market rate but at least you know you're covering your costs. If that prices you too high you know you need to reconsider some things, because your biz better cover costs. If you're low, you can start bumping your rates up. I've bumped my rates up by $30/hr since I started and realistically - given how efficient I've become - I need to bump again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freelance Rate Calculator

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here