Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claudia4_gw

Need landscape help/suggestions please

claudia4
17 years ago

HI! I'm new here!

Can someone be kind and take a look at my backyard and tell me what would be the best way to go about landscaping this area? It's approx. 2 acres and it needs help! What kind of machinery would I need.. and how much do you think it would cost to have a professional come in and work this? Basically, what are my options?

Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1165447}}

Comments (3)

• gw:judy-hebe
    17 years ago

Claudia, I have some suggestions for you first before one can answer your question here. Even a professional landscaper that comes to your place would be able to do a better job if you had answers to this list of questions ready.

Seeing the photo alone won't answer a number of questions that come to mind. I'll list them so you can plan your landscaping job better.

1. Is there any slope to the ground & if so, what is the inclination? Flat, gentle or steep in places?

2. What type of soil do you have - mostly clay, silt, or loam? Acidic, alkaline or neutral?

3. Where are you located - in other words, what USDA zone do you live in? Here's how you can find out if you don't know: http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html What will grow will depend on where you live.

4. I see tall trees on one end so it would be good to keep an eye on how much sun your backyard gets. Are the trees on the north, south, or what side? You should keep tabs on how many hours different parts of the yard gets as light requirements for plants vary greatly.

5. Will you be able to water your plants at all? If not, how much rain do you get & during which months does it mainly fall in?

6. What direction does the wind blow in? Does the stand of trees protect your backyard during cold winter winds?

7. Lastly, what sort of preference do you have for your yard - wild meadow garden; manicured neat borders; low maintenance; or what type? Would you like some additional trees or mostly shrubs or a mixture of shrubs & perennials? Any trellises built so you can plant vines? No one would want to put lots of effort into making a garden that doesn't suit their tastes or time.

As for costs & machinery, I don't do the big stuff so I'm of little help there. But once you have a better idea of what you'd like done & have the list of answers ready, you should be able to phone up professional landscapers in your area & ask for an estimate. Check around carefully & ask for referrals so you can see what their work is like. Ask to view some clients' yards. Too many so-called expert or professional landscapers just have the bigger, more costly equipment & little skill in what they do.

• clfo
    17 years ago

Claudia,
    Good thoughts from Judy-H. There is no way someone can look at photos and give you good advice. Have someone familar with your area come and look at your property to advise you. Consult with local landscapers or garden centers. Get a few opinions and estimates.
    good luck!

• bonsai_audge
    17 years ago

Hello Claudia!

Good advice has been given to you. Check with your local landscaping companies; they generally outline the basic procedure and pricing to an estimate. All that can be given online are suggestions (usually quite based on personal opinion). For example, I would suggest not touching any trees as I like more wooded properties. However, this does not consider many other factors, such as their proximity to the house, other drainage issues, the views beyond that, and more importantly, what you want to do with this.

-Audric

Sponsored