Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheerpeople

Would there be a hort. job for a snow bird?

cheerpeople
17 years ago

I plan to retire from the medical field in 14 yrs. Yeah I know that's a long time away! But the market may be different then, so I need to let you know.

I'm thinking it would be nice to spend the harsh part of winter in CA near my sister. I was thinking it would be fun to get a degree of some in the horticultural field. I love to learn, especially if I can take my time and savor it.

I already have a BS in Science. I would be interested in an online education.

A Degree in Occupational Therapy ( not that would help)

and a minor in psychology.

Do you think that there is a potential for a rewarding job for 3-4 months, Jan- April?

I don't wish to be a business owner

I do not wish to operate heavy equipment or pick oranges all day.

I do not wish to get fluent in Spanish.

I may not be up for heavy labor, or have as much finesse with full-body- shovel jumping when I'm 55.-

I do wish to work directly with plants and people, maybe test tubes.

I would like to be outside at least part of the time.

I'm good at art, just can't make much money at it. I have an eye tho.

Does this sound crazy? If not, is there a type of degree that sounds like a good fit? Is there an online school for it that is respected?

I'm living in IL zone 5. By then my kids will be out of the house.I don't wish to go there full time, nor is any interning an option until I'm retired. My fantastic hubby's here, and he never plans to retire.

Any thoughts?

Thx,

Karen

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

I think you may be approaching this from the wrong direction. In most areas of the country, the bulk of the hort positions, especially those that do not have a lot of degrees behind them, tend to be rather seasonal in nature. And even in the milder areas of the country, like the southwest, southern California, etc., that usually coincides with the primary growing season - April through September/October. So your chances of finding a temporary position in the "off season" would be greatly reduced. Even along the west coast where one can garden all 12 months and nurseries are open year round, thing slow down dramatically from November to March. Yes, established landscape companies do work throughout the winter, but do you really want to be doing the hard, very physical grunt work typically associated with landscape installation or would you prefer something a bit lighter? If you are looking at something like nursery sales, then I think you need to focus on finding a seasonal position close to home where you will be present during the growing season and save your time in CA for rest and relaxation.

Perhaps other readers located in SoCal or the southwest might have different input for you, but from my perspective, I doubt you will find much available for such a short period of time and at a rather "off" time of year.

• laag
    17 years ago

In any area there are a lot of people who do this kind of work. When the off season arrives, there is a lot less work to go around. Even if some folks doing this work leave or shut down for the off season, There are plenty hanging around looking for something to do, so you have competition in place.

From the clients perspective, if they have the type of garden that needs hired help in the off season, then they certainly would need more of it in the true season. In that case, there is no need to hire someone from out of town who will leave when they are most needed.

My opinion is that the only person who this business plan makes sense to is you. I'm being blunt because when I am not, people confuse the sugar coating with encouragement.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Jan. through April is a VERY busy time in commercial greenhouses! That's when all of the production gears up for the spring crops of bedding plants. Can you picture yourself growing a few zillion flats of veggies, annuals and perennials, and herbs?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1165540}}

• cheerpeople
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I appreciate your thoughts gardengal, laag, and rhizo,

Having never lived in a climate as warm as CA over a winter, it's hard to believe they have an off season too. But I guess it stands to reason, there might be plenty of skilled folks there just waiting for spring to find work that time of year.

I think it would be rewarding to grow a zillion flats. I'm idealistically thinking I could go home after 8 hrs and SIT down. Or is it so busy that I'd have to work 10-12 hour shifts?

I'm guessing it would be minimum wage and that I needn't spend the time and $ on any kind of degree/certification?
    LMK
    Thanks for your thoughts:)

Karen

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

Yes, that type of horticultural activity does generally pay minimum wage. Hate to dampen your enthusiasm, but in my area and I would assume in CA as well, these positions are typically filled by immigrants of Hispanic or Asian descent.

• Cady
    17 years ago

That the growing jobs are usually taken by Hispanic or Asian immigrants doesn't necessarily mean that there wouldn't be a place for Cheerpeople. Most native-born Americans simply don't want those minimum-wage, "conveyer belt" kinds of jobs. If Cheerpeople doesn't mind the work, then the fact that she speaks English could be a plus in getting in the door.

Sponsored