Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cady_gw

Wanna run Arnold Arboretum?

Cady
19 years ago

Here's the perfect job for the landscape professional who wants to get out of the field and into academe. Maybe when you retire, Mich... You could get preference since you're an alumna. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Requisition Number 19709

Title Chair of the Landscape Institute

School / Unit University Administration

Department Arnold Arboretum

Location Boston

Full Or Part Time Full-Time

Salary Grade 059

Date Posted 04/30/2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duties And Responsibilities

The Chair of the Landscape Institute at the Arnold Arboretum will provide academic leadership for the research, educational and outreach programs of the Institute. The Chair may also have an academic appointment in one of Harvard's academic departments or professional schools. The position will be either full or part-time pending a related academic appointment.

In addition to academic leadership and scholarly production, the Chair will supervise the Director of Educational Programs who is responsible for the daily operations of support staff, instructors, & certificate programs.

The Chair will be responsible for: the development of research programs involving staff/students & research collaborations with other centers at Harvard and with other scholarly organizations; the development of overall curriculum policies and for cultivation, recruitment and retention of the teaching faculty of the Institute; and, the promotion of the goals of the Institute through the cultivation of external relations.

The Chair will supervise all print and electronic publications of the Institute, including the development of electronic communications among faculty, students and researchers. The Chair will provide instruction and be responsible for the advancement of students through the conduct and publication of research projects.

Required Education, Experience and Skills The Chair will possess a master's degree in landscape architecture, & individuals with an additional Ph.D. degree in a field related to land use planning, landscape design, natural resource management, or land-related history will be highly preferred. The Chair will have a record of research productivity through scholarly production & will have at least eight years experience in professional practice or project management involving landscape design or management, as well as experience with curriculum development & instruction in an academic setting. The Chair will possess a record of experience in the management of collaborative projects & programs.

Additional Web Position Listing Please submit the name, address, and phone number of three references along with resume and letter of application. See www.arboretum.harvard.edu for full background and description of the position.

Harvard University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.

Comments (14)

• nandina
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A word of warning to anyone applying for this job. You had better be one heck of a politician because it is a politically charged academia nightmare. One of the finest directors, Carl Sax, was drummed out of that position due to politics. And along the way a director allowed the life work of three hybridizers working with Prunus maritima (beach plums) to disappear from the collection. There is now an ongoing search by New England growers to locate and reconstruct that collection, as named varieties have been lost over the years.

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

but how much does it pay ??????????

Good Day ...

• Cady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Actually, my subject header is misleading. The position is for head of the Landscape Institute, housed at the Arnold. But Nandina is right - Harvard is very political, and any administrative job there is likely to be fraught with political peril.

As for the pay, I think Salary Grade 059 is $70-80K. Maybe a bit more. It's been a while since I've checked Harvard's human resources/pay scale page.

• NOTHO__NANTUCKET
    19 years ago

hey Cady, Weston Nursery is looking for a head honcho,ask for Wayne or Roger .Tell them you are very good friends with Jack Demmers and Archie Flannery and on marathon race day you can say on your mark ,get set , go. then run the concession stand.

• Cady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow! That sounds like a lead, Bubba. Thanks. Here's one for you: go to the New England Gardening forum. Someone is looking for dwarf conifers there, and you would be a good person for advice.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

I better start working on that Phd.

I wonder if I could get an office next to Peter del Tredici ?
    Bet he is still a hotty.

• Cady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Those Hahvahd snoots and their hoity toity PhDs.!
    You probably can get around the PhD thing with your life experience. I saw in the paper that someone got an MBA for a pet cat by that method. You just list everything you've done in the last 20 years, pay $299, and BADDA-BING! You've got a graduate degree. :)

• NOTHO__NANTUCKET
    19 years ago

Cady, my Ph D stands for Phu@kin Dope and no one listens or believes a word I say .I was only bustin chops I hope no offense was taken ole friend !!! Bubba

• happyhoe
    19 years ago

LOL. A landscape architect running an Arboretum? That's like a madam running a covent.

• Cady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I know you was kiddin', Bubba.

Happyhoe... LMAO! Actually, the job is for chairperson of the Landscape Institute at Arnold Arboretum. So, it makes sense to appoint a landscape architect with academic experience to oversee the curriculum.

• NOTHO__NANTUCKET
    19 years ago

Cady, when you said wanna run Arnold Aboretum,did you like mean was the guy Arnold was gonna run in that fancy runnin foot race that they all run in from Hopkinton to Bostun?The one they commence on Brady Day. cousin bubba, the only kin that did not say Merry Christmas. sorry cousin Cady!!!!!

• superphosphate
    19 years ago

With so many references to "Chair", you got to have good "seat-of-the-pants" judgement.

I go to the Arnold frequently. To study worthy trees and shrubs that ought to be in commerce but which are not in commerce.
    The future for these ommited trees is retail ready at the box store!

The Arnold Arboretum just published a new 'Inventory of Living Collections' book in 2003 without checking to see if the plants are still there. Plenty of them are gone and a few are there that are not listed.

The present Director Cook ruffled a lot of feathers when he restored the grand old administration building, putting plenty of offices out into the cold temporarily, and sold off most of the underutilized Case Estate in Weston.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

When did the natural beauty of land become ' underutilized ' space ?
    Sacrilege !

The Case Estates is a breathtaking piece of property. What a shame to have it gone.
    Hopefully the town of Weston will maintain its natural beauty and not spearhead it for development.

Much of my time while at the Arnold Arboretum was spent working on the collections and maintaining the property at the Case Estates under the direction of Patrick Willoughby.

• superphosphate
    19 years ago

mich in zonal denial,

There were several houses, homes, that had not much to do with the theme of an arboretum at the Case Estate, that had become valuable by the early 1990's.
    Harvard University owns lots of real estate already.

What else would pay for the restoration of the Administration Building (the 'Hunnewell Building'[?]) ?

Consider yourself lucky to have been spared the misfortune to have had to work at the Case Estates under Julie Coop.

I worked for the Harvard Forest two summers in the 1960's.
    I noticed that in the 1970's they went off of harvesting.
    The Tom Swamp tract, which was the original managed forest, got let go also.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner