Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_audge

First design project!

bonsai_audge
17 years ago

Hello everyone!

A little update on my first year, first semester of LA at UoG. Things are going well, and next week we get our first design project! It is not for an actual project (to be implemented), but it's redesigning a plaza on campus. (The past project actually was a site analysis of the same site). I'm very excited for it, and can't wait to get started! I'd tell you more details about the project itself, but we haven't actually received the outline.

And I promise I won't try to make you do my homework : Ã

-Audric

Comments (15)

• inkognito
    17 years ago

Can we at least supply the pizza and coffee as you just gave me a reason to post here.

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sounds like a deal, Ink. I'll also supply some pics of my balcony (nearing completion) to keep us entertained until the delivery man comes.

Here's an overall view to give a sense of the layout (for a sense of scale, each tile measures 1 x 1 foot):

Detail of the pot and the moss:

And, since we always need to know the context in which a landscape is viewed, here's the most-used view of the balcony, which is from my desk and my computer (at which I am sitting currently):

Finally, the view (which you could partially see in the previous pic) from my balcony window, with all the fall colours:

Hope you enjoy!

-Audric

• miss_rumphius_rules
    17 years ago

What are you forcing?

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Paperwhites for Christmas!

-Audric

• inkognito
    17 years ago

As you sit and gaze at your little masterpiece I can see that you will learn a lot about shadows (I don't mean shade). Shadows are an element rarely mentioned in a garden design context but the strong shadows in your pictures are due to the height of the sun in a clear blue autumn sky. Later in the day the colour of the light will change and the shadows will become softer you will have eaten the pizza and all will be mellow. You can bring a tree or a branch indoors when the sun projects it onto a wall. You've done a great job with that little area BTW.

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for the comments, Ink. I appreciate them very much! It's fortunate that the balcony faces directly South (but recently, it's been so cloudy and grey that it's perpetually dull).

We finally received the outline of the project. There are no real restrictions, and the project isn't meant to be technically precise. Essentially, it's to create an idea for a space which can be the basis of further discussions about the space. Like I mentioned, it isn't going to be built (the University lacking funds for such a project), but they will be submitted to the Physical Resources dept for future reference.

Currently, I've got a [working] plan for the space. "Form follows function" is the direction that I'm headed. Pedestrian flow, vehicular flow (lots of bikers currently pass through the area), accessibility, maintenance, shelter from the elements, seating/eating areas, bike racks, etc etc. Unfortunately, the building has doors in somewhat awkward places, so I'm still shifting areas of use around to better incorporate paths to access those doors. It's been fun so far!

Now, the question remains, "What should I plant here?" ; )

-Audric

• laag
    17 years ago

"What should I plant here?" ... a gardeners way of thinking?

I think that this project will make you think "why should I plant here?".

You are probably going into the phase where you will find out that landscape architecture is more about site design than garden design. We all know that going in, but when it actually becomes a reality in our projects it is not quite the same.

Keep us posted.

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Andrew! I guess my "; )" didn't show up as well, but the last statement was made in jest.

In fact, that's one of the first things that the profs were quick to emphasize: "We are not here to simply decorate. We are here to design." A prof took us on a fieldtrip to the Harbourfront and Downtown in Toronto to show us works that other LA's did. One thing he kept on saying is that, as LA's, we'll be doing things that we never would have thought that we would be doing. Which is both exciting and daunting at the same time, because there's a certain degree of uncertainty as to what one may be doing in the next project. One example that the professor used was a pedestrian drawbridge built over a harbour, which was designed by an LA. (It wasn't a small one either - probably about 100 to 200 feet long).

Currently, I have a plan which I'm pretty happy with. Interestingly enough, there are very few planting areas. Most of them are to serve as partial visual buffers between different segments of the plaza, to provide a sense of enclosure while still allowing people to see and be seen.

It's been interesting working on such a large space. It's about 100 x 120 feet, which is the largest space that I have ever had to deal with (and I'm sure that this will change over time!). Like many things, it's both fun and intimidating to work with. What can you do with 12 000 square feet? The scale itself is difficult to grasp - I had trouble (and still am having some) trying to comprehend that, on my small sketch, 1 inch is equivalent to 20 feet on the site.

Anyways, things are going pretty well. Only two and a half more weeks to go!

-Audric

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Progress Report!

Today was rather productive in studio. I worked out some spacing/alignment issues (it's a very geometric, modern space) and otherwise finallized the design. After, I started on my good copy of the basic design, which is at a 1"=10' scale. My rough sketches were at a 1"=20' scale (and on a bad photocopy), so there were a few adjustments which were made to make everything "fit."

I'm having some issues with my wall thicknesses. Currently, I have 2'-thick walls for seating purposes, and 1'-thick walls everywhere else. The variation in size across the plan, however, is bugging me. I'll bring that up with my instructor and see what he thinks about it.

And plants? I have few plants, actually. The majority of beds are going to have simple, evergreen (yawn) groundcovers punctuated with repeated bold, architectural elements. At least, that's the plan!

-Audric

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Although it may seem insignificant, I bought an engineer's scale which has 1":10' to 1":60' scales, with everything in between in 10' increments. It'll be nice to not have to count out 3.2 32nds of an inch for every foot!

-Audric

• laag
    17 years ago

A good investment, Audge. I keep a 4" one in my shirt pocket within the pocket protector, of course. Don't go shopping for the pocket protector, though. I'm pretty sure I bought out the last of them. (yes, I am serious)

Having a habit of using an engineer's scale will be very helpful when you start getting into grading & ddrainage.

But, I thought you guys were metric all the way????? They're not training you to come down here, are they? How are they spelling coloured pencils in that school you go to? Is this a conspiracy? All in good fun, Audge.

An engineer's scale is the American idea of getting away with not using the metric system.

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Interesting thoughts, Andrew. I've always considered the engineer's scale to be a metric-ized version of imperial measurements - the usualy 1/4 or 18/ or 1/16 or 1/32 markings replaced by markings in groups of 10.

Technically, we are supposed to be 100% metric, but the imperial system is still alive and kicking (especially in the construction industry: it's called a 2 by 4, not 5.08 by 10.16). And since I've been generally interested in architecture, where measurements are generally in imperial as well, my ability to visual "space" is much better in imperial than in metric. Currently, the project we have is imperial, but in the future, we're told to expect plans in either types.

However, I'm definitely better at calculations in metric. I especially can't multiply/divide imperial, especially if it's a combo of both feet an inches. I'm still not sure what 2" divided by 3 is. : P

And I don't have a pocket protector, but it came in a nice vinyl sleeve!

-Audric

• laag
    17 years ago

The pocket protector is a good thing, but you have to be over 40 to get away with having one. By that time there is no hiding the fact that you (me) are no longer cool and you are more worried about your shirt or pants absorbing half a pen's worth of ink into it which causes the further worry of your (my) wife's reaction to yet more clothing (intensify if it was a gift from her) being ruined by a pen.

My pocket protector contains a Sharpie for writing on stakes in the field, a red pen for marking plan revisions, a blue pen for original signatures, a silver matched set of Cross pen and pencil (to look cool to the rest of the over 40 crowd, but never used), the aforementioned engineer's scale, and a Pentel #7 to actually write with.

..... just one of the great things that you can look forward to.

PS. Your professor's will not teach you the value of a pocket protector because they are stuck in the dream world of believing that some of their students actually think they are still cool.

More fun, Audric.

Be cool.

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hmmm... no pocket protectors, but we do have a carry-all bag which contains our drafting supplies if that counts.

And for the project: 5 more days until it is due! The "good copy" (in quotation marks because you never know if you're going to need to make a better "good copy") is well on its way. The layout is firmly set: I'm quite happy with it, it functions well, and it looks good too. I'm working on dressing up the presentation, creating sections (done) and perspectives (starting) to show off the main "points" of the design. I'm still debating over whether to include an isometric-persective drawing (done) in the plan in addition to the sections. The sections I definitely want to include, as they show off the geometric alignment of several main features and also the changes in height between areas, but I'm beginning to think to have both sections and an isometric perspective drawing of the site may be a little overkill. In addition, I'm beginning to think that it may not be the best way of representing the site, so I'm working on a series of (non-isometric) perspective drawings which highlight the main areas. I think that those may work better than to have an "unguided" drawing which lays out the site all at once.

Anyways, 2 more studio classes to go! And then finals!

-Audric

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's finished! Unfortunately, I have an exam on Monday (tomorrow) and Tuesday, so there's no time to party. At least, not yet! :P

-Audric

Sponsored