Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnthegardener

Starting a small iris nursery

lynnthegardener
9 years ago

I have been digging thru this forum the last few weeks and I have learned alot about starting nursery's. I am wanting to start a small Iris nursery. I have not found any information anywhere about some specific things. First question is how does one go about buidling up an inventory of iris and having enough to sell? I am thinking it takes at least 3-4 years of buying iris and dividing them and replanting to have a good bunch to sell. I am thinking I will buy several hundred different varieties and planting them and letting them grow and divide them when they need to be so they can multiply. Any help or experience from anyone who has done this or reference you can point me to would be truly helpful. I have acquired a lot that will be dedicated to planting iris. I am older and just want to add to our income doing and growing something that I love. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Comments (3)

• ninamarie
    9 years ago

I would concentrate first on selling. Where do you intend to sell? Who is your customer? How will you get your product to your customer?
    Buying and selling product at the beginning will be a lot cheaper than investing thousands of dollars in growing iris, which may or may not sell. Buy iris in smaller quantities to resell until you have built up your inventory. Consider expanding your line. Iris has a short season of flowering - what will you do for cash after it has bloomed?

• calliope
    9 years ago

I have propagated and sold iris as part of my nursery line. You will need permission to propagate any that may have a named trademark, and may also be required to be licensed and pay royalties to propagate any that have patents. Mine were also required to be inspected by my state department of agriculture. We found our's to be rather work intensive to maintain a weed-free environment (require to pass inspections) and also to keep on top of pests, particularly borer. We also did not ship the product out of the local vicinity because that is another issue as far as phytosanitary permits. Our's were sold as potted stock, so bloom date is not an issue, but if you are carrying a large stock of different varieties, you will need to provide excellent labeling, since the most unusual will demand the highest prices and people need to SEE the blooms, if not in season then by photography. We had many planted in display gardens.............that is what woos and sells them and they're much easier to care for grown as field stock rather than potted. It's the easiest to take orders and sold as bare rhizome at appropriate planting time. Get your ducks in a row first as to your dept of ag regulations, decide if you want to work mail order and find out what regs you will need to follow in that respect as well. If you have an extension department nearby, contact them. They usually have agents to help you with the economics end of an agri-business or can lead you to who can help you get up and running.

• lynnthegardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the input. I am a former professional gardener and I have semi retired from that so I am fairly familiar with the industry but have never wanted to go into having a backyard nursery so I have much to learn. Thanks!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville