Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Senior housing gardening jobs

Posted by lilaccity z5NY (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 11, 04 at 17:03

I have a small garden maint. business and am interested in offering a gardening service for seniors who are living independent in area retirement communities. Many seniors loved to garden but may not be able to physically tend a garden anymore. Residents are typically allowed to plant around their patio. I would also like to offer a container filling service( patio pots, window boxes or deck planters etc) Is anyone doing this and if so any tips you could share would be so appreciated. I was employed at one local community and my grandmother is living there currently. I know there are a number of residents that would utilize this service. Any ideas's on pricing (affordable yet profitable)? Thank you to anyone who responds!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Senior housing gardening jobs

I think it could be a place to make a few dollars ... I don't know if it will make enough to retire on though ...

I had a a senior client like yours once .. she would call once a season ... I would bring an assortment of annuals to fill pots and a bit of light pruning on some existing vines ... it was easy fun work ... I enjoyed here company as well ... I think if you had enough of those customers ... that is if you worked the area / market well it may make even better then a few dollars ...

Pricing though is your job ( don't pass the buck !! ) ... look at your own expenses and profit goals ... feel out the clients you have to get an idea of what the market price can be.

Make it happen.

Good Day ...

o

Hello! I remember you posted this same question last year. Did anything come of your venture that time around? Good, bad, indifferent? Or did you not pursue it at all this season?
Ginger

o

I work with a client that is a senior.I do exactly what you do and since she had knee surgery I weeded her small garden this past summer.Most seniors can pay only 12-18 dollars an hour I've found,so its mostly a labor of love.Leave some business cards with your family member you do work for and on bullentin boards in the center and church fellowships in area.
Jackie

o

I do alot of work in new and re-do landscapes in a senior manifactured home park.This is a new park.The older people always need work done,talk to mngmnt and leave your card on the bulliten board.I have gotten alot of good jobs there because your work is right out there for all to see and word of mouth is great.Don't think the older client has no money,alot of them use that ploy,but the $ is there and alot of it.They like to play broke,but when it comes to something they like or want ,the money flows.

o

A good friend of mine is the grounds supervisor at a large retirement community. Some of the issues he deals with are humorous (to me) and probably fairly representative. Each dweller is sure that the others recieve better maintenance care then they do...more flower plants, more timely fertilizer applications, more frequent care, etc. Remember, many were once gardeners themselves, and their way was the only really right way! Plus, they keep calling to have issues resolved, when it appears all that they really wanted was somebody to visit with.

o

My favorite clients are seniors who were keen gardeners and no longer can do the physical labor. I learn a lot from them and get an incredible number of excellent referrals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here