Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions / Help ($) in Building a Plant Database

Posted by bradytimes 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 07 at 19:17

I'm coming to you looking for suggestions in building an online plant database. Mostly, I want to pay someone with a background in horticultural to help populate the database. Ideally, it would include about 2000 to 3000 plants...those that are normally available at nurseries. Would this be of interest to you or anyone you know? This is something that you could do in your spare time, or while in-between jobs. You could do as much or as little as you'd like. It's really flexible, I'd just like to have things ready by the next growing season. Also, given the nature of this project (see below), this could be a way to promote your landscaping services to the public.

Or, can you think of another way to get about 2000 - 3000 plants in the database (without violating copyright)?

1. Hiring students part-time through an internship program. Is there a university / program that you would recommend?
  2. Purchasing the information from an existing source (Horticopia, AHS). Frankly, I don't think they would do it.
  3. Wikipedia. This would work for pictures, but not for zone, exposure and other measurable characteristics.
  4. Outsource it to India. I'd rather have someone with a background (or interest) in horticulture be involved with this.
  5. USDA plant database. "Been there, done that." So far, I've imported about 1300 "commercially available" plants from the USDA plant database. However, it seems like these plants are geared towards agriculture, not gardening. Not very helpful. It would be good to use this as a secondary source of information after a plant has been added, though.

Each plant should include the following information:

• scientific name
  • common name(s)
  • type (perennial, annual, vine, etc)
  • zone (min and max)
  • water use (min and max)
  • exposure (min and max)
  • height
  • width
  • text description (general, cultivation, uses, problems)

This database is part of a new gardening website that will allow users to share garden plans (pictures + plant lists) online. In addition, it will be a place where landscaping professionals can keep their portfolios up-to-date and in the public view...free of charge. Those with the best/most contributions will receive more exposure and this could mean more business for those in the landscaping industry.

If any of this interests you please respond to this post, or send me an email at "scottbbrady [at] gmail [dot] com".

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions / Help ($) in Building a Plant Database

Another possibility is paying X amount per plant added, where each plant would include the information mentioned above.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 2, 07 at 22:13

I'd be basing the selection on what wholesale nurseries are offering. I'd also expect to be covering a much higher number of kinds:

Sunset Western Garden Book: "More than 8,000 Plants"

The Plant Locator - Western Region: "More than 50,000 Plants"

5th Edition Andersen Horticultural Library Source List: "over 70,000 plants"

If you had at least as many as the Sunset book it would still amount to mostly common kinds. 2-3 thousand is such a small sampling the utility of the file comes into question, users finding over and over that a plant is not in there will become frustrated. There are individual nurseries that offer more kinds of plants than that.

o

There are nice on-line plant databases available already from mail-order nurseries.

If you do this, for one that small I would think you'd be talking about plants native to a particular State or something. The way to make it useful would be to offer a search where you could search for plants that do well in dry shade, wet shade, full sun in sandy soil, full sun with clay soil, and maybe be able to add in a color pallet or bloom time.

o

Heck I would be interested.I have a degree in Hort but love the whole scientific thing alot as well.

o

Sweet! Email me at "scottbbrady [at] gmail [dot] com" and we'll talk it over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here