Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradytimes

Suggestions / Help ($) in Building a Plant Database

bradytimes
16 years ago

I'm coming to you looking for suggestions in building an online plant database. Mostly, I want to pay someone with a background in horticultural to help populate the database. Ideally, it would include about 2000 to 3000 plants...those that are normally available at nurseries. Would this be of interest to you or anyone you know? This is something that you could do in your spare time, or while in-between jobs. You could do as much or as little as you'd like. It's really flexible, I'd just like to have things ready by the next growing season. Also, given the nature of this project (see below), this could be a way to promote your landscaping services to the public.

Or, can you think of another way to get about 2000 - 3000 plants in the database (without violating copyright)?

1. Hiring students part-time through an internship program. Is there a university / program that you would recommend?

1. Purchasing the information from an existing source (Horticopia, AHS). Frankly, I don't think they would do it.
  1. Wikipedia. This would work for pictures, but not for zone, exposure and other measurable characteristics.
  1. Outsource it to India. I'd rather have someone with a background (or interest) in horticulture be involved with this.
  1. USDA plant database. "Been there, done that." So far, I've imported about 1300 "commercially available" plants from the USDA plant database. However, it seems like these plants are geared towards agriculture, not gardening. Not very helpful. It would be good to use this as a secondary source of information after a plant has been added, though.

Each plant should include the following information:

• scientific name

• common name(s)
  • type (perennial, annual, vine, etc)
  • zone (min and max)
  • water use (min and max)
  • exposure (min and max)
  • height
  • width
  • text description (general, cultivation, uses, problems)

This database is part of a new gardening website that will allow users to share garden plans (pictures + plant lists) online. In addition, it will be a place where landscaping professionals can keep their portfolios up-to-date and in the public view...free of charge. Those with the best/most contributions will receive more exposure and this could mean more business for those in the landscaping industry.

If any of this interests you please respond to this post, or send me an email at "scottbbrady [at] gmail [dot] com".

Thanks

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm