Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenelf

Determined to Destroy Oxalis

GreenElf
19 years ago

I've read quite a bit about the difficulty of destroying oxalis that have bulbs but I am wondering if I have a fighting chance with the following scenario and what I might do to increase the odds of being successful.

Our entire yard (750 sf) in San Francisco was a field of oxalis except for a couple lovely bushes (lilac, camellia). Zero maintenance for years. There is a nearby spring so the soil stays fairly moist except in the hottest part of summer. Last February, we pulled up by hand the oxalis, trying to get the bulbs also. We then did nothing for 10 months which brings us to last week: picture the oxalis having grown back in full force. This time we scooped up about 3" soil and carted it away. We now have a blank canvas save for the few bushes here and there. We would like to end up with a yard that in one area will be grass and other areas flowers and other landscape features. Our thought is to put weed cloth down now. Then, for the grass area, in the spring take away the cloth, use a pre-emergent herbicide (corn gluten meal? anything organic out there effective against oxalis?) and place sod on it, the idea being that an established grass will crowd out the oxalis. For the other areas, we'll pull back the weed cloth as we go along.

Should we leave the weed cloth on for the entire spring instead? For an entire year? Has anyone ever taken off a foot of soil, laid a weed cloth, then put new soil on top then planted on top of that? Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

• GreenElf
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you very much for your advice, Habitat Gardener. We will likely do the cardboard mulching, I like the idea of conditioning the soil while smothering the oxalis and not having to remove the smothering cover later. It will probably take us a while to amass the amount of cardboard we'll need for our large area so were thinking to put the weed cover down in the meantime. Or should we skip the immediate covering and let the oxalis have some light so that when we put the cardboard down it may have germinated and started to grow?

How long will the cardboard provide a sufficient cover? If we put it down in January, will it still block the light for the oxalis in March - June?

One last question, if we end up waiting until March to put the cardboard and new soil/compost down can we immediately put a sod lawn on top?

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

Oxalis comes in a variety of forms.
    I have two different varieties growing in my Marin County garden, the large yellow flowering bulbous form and the perennial low tight mat growing form .

I used cardboard to try to eliminate the oxalis the first year I moved into my house.
    It worked for a short while, but as soon as I started developing the garden beds it reared its ugly head again.
    The only way that I have been able to keep the oxalis at bay is by hand weeding. It is a weekly endeavor that I fear will never cease.

I have not been out to weed the new side yard garden and in less than 3 weeks time that area is almost covered with it.

• froggy
    19 years ago

Destroy it? no (not sure if u really wanna destroy anything alive)

control it? sure can. time spent with a hoe will do amazing things over time.

froggy

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    18 years ago

Hi GreenElf,

I know that your note is an old one, but I'm hoping that I might be able to talk you out of some of your little pink oxalis bulbs. Would you be interested in trading for something? I'm in zone 8b, Central Texas.

Thanks for answering,
    Xtal

• habitat_gardener
    18 years ago

Xtal, the weedy types of oxalis here have yellow flowers -- O. corniculatus and O. pes-caprae. No one plants these intentionally.

We also have a lovely native oxalis, O. oregana or redwood sorrel, that has pink flowers and is not invasive. This is probably what you want. It grows in shade.

• jntex
    15 years ago

I do not know if what I am doing is working, but I am digging it out of the ground a little at a time every day. My Oxalis has a central wine colored "carrot" type root beneath the surface, sometimes a couple of inches deep. If you can find that, it is the motherlode. Leaves on tendrils grow out on the surface for many inches and these all have spider roots. You have to dig under the whole area, then separate the grass from the Oxalis you are removing. Then push your grass back down. Certainly you need to get the "carrot" if you can, but if you only remove several inches of the tendrils, I believe you did help some. Keep your pulled weeds in a box to throw away in a bag. Hopefully never to see the light of day again! Removing just the leaves, is of course, worthless. I have only seen a few of the seeds which seem to work like "stickers" which can attach to objects or animals and spread the plague. I have also used "Weed Be Gone" which is expensive and, as far as I can tell, has little or no effect on the "carrot" root which is the plant's genesis. If you just want the leaves and some of the tendrils to die, it works fine. VERY short term and no solution. Good luck. Advice to the unwary, NEVER let Oxalis get a hold. It's an incredible amount of work to eradicate. It will literally take over your yard.

• hj1_heathers_net
    12 years ago

After much searching, I found an herbicide mix called "Monterey Spurge Power". I mixed it at nearly double strength and applied it to a portion of my garden in January. It is now the end of April and the Oxalis pes-caprae has not returned, except for one small plant. It is my intention to use a torch on anything that reappears. I hope this will work.