Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loewenzahn

Me too I want to start a tiny plant nursery

loewenzahn
10 years ago

OK, I saw the thread below but I did not want to disturb that thread because there were very special questions asked.
Me too, I want to start a tiny nursery and sell plants several times a year in the fashion of a garage sale. Our nursery in town has closed, k-Mart as well and there is only the hardware shop which sells plants.
I have a nice collection of medicinal and culinary herbs in the garden and ornamental plants I could propagate from. This is actually the easy part. The winter here is not very cold here (up to minus 5 at night) that means I could take a lot of cuttings in early autumn, which might be ready in spring.
I will never understand why anyone would buy parsley, basil and lettuce in punnets, but I know people will ask for that.
The first big problem I see is timing. I would have to have all plants ready for sale at the same time and in early spring. I thought of building a manure bed to provide heat, but it still seems to be tricky, especially as these plants don't last very long in a pot.
As a gardener I am terrible in keeping records and I never know how many days a plant needs.
The next problem is to make a decent potting mixture without breaking the bank.
We have some outdoor nursery beds to raise out of old roofing sheets and I love them I find it is far better than any punnet, but in the end the plants have to go in pots.

Comments (5)