Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Me too I want to start a tiny plant nursery

Posted by loewenzahn cool (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 2:24

OK, I saw the thread below but I did not want to disturb that thread because there were very special questions asked.
Me too, I want to start a tiny nursery and sell plants several times a year in the fashion of a garage sale. Our nursery in town has closed, k-Mart as well and there is only the hardware shop which sells plants.
I have a nice collection of medicinal and culinary herbs in the garden and ornamental plants I could propagate from. This is actually the easy part. The winter here is not very cold here (up to minus 5 at night) that means I could take a lot of cuttings in early autumn, which might be ready in spring.
I will never understand why anyone would buy parsley, basil and lettuce in punnets, but I know people will ask for that.
The first big problem I see is timing. I would have to have all plants ready for sale at the same time and in early spring. I thought of building a manure bed to provide heat, but it still seems to be tricky, especially as these plants don't last very long in a pot.
As a gardener I am terrible in keeping records and I never know how many days a plant needs.
The next problem is to make a decent potting mixture without breaking the bank.
We have some outdoor nursery beds to raise out of old roofing sheets and I love them I find it is far better than any punnet, but in the end the plants have to go in pots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Me too I want to start a tiny plant nursery

BTW when I was a kid our local gardener sold lettuce not in punnets. It was a square of dirt wrapped in newspaper. I wonder how he did this, this would cut costs down and it is eco friendly, people here love this.

o

Instead of focusing on how cheaply you could do everything you should be focusing on how much do you want/need to make, what will costs (ALL the costs) of doing business be, and can you cover those.

o

And investigate the need (requirement) for a business license/permit.

o

i believe that if you are selling under a certain amount per year you do'nt need any permits. Just as having a garage sale does'nt need to have a business permit. There is a house on a major highway by me that sells potted plants(alot of them )ie; 300,@ 2 times per year. They have done this for at least the last 10 years and i say good for them. Uncle squander can't make do with what they have from u.s. so i say why would we try to give them more?

o

i believe that if you are selling under a certain amount per year you do'nt need any permits. Just as having a garage sale does'nt need to have a business permit. There is a house on a major highway by me that sells potted plants(alot of them )ie; 300,@ 2 times per year. They have done this for at least the last 10 years and i say good for them. Uncle squander can't make do with what they have from u.s. so i say why would we try to give them more?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here