Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
detaching a climbing hydrangea

Posted by terrasal none (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 6:28

Hi all

One of my clients is having her fence rebuilt and she has two old climbing hydrangeas growing on it, a H. Seemanii and an a H. anomala subsp.petiolaris. I told her that were we to prune it all down, it'd probably take years for the two climbers to grow back to where they are now (about 3 metres high)so she has insisted we improvise a support system while the fence is being rebuilt...My question is the following: will these two climbers grow new adventitious roots once it is reconnected somehow to the new fence (wooden btw)? Or do adventitious roots only grow on new stems? Is there anything I should do in order to prompt this regrowth? Any tips on how to secure the climber closer to the wall than just by using twine?
Many thanks for all answers and tips in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: detaching a climbing hydrangea

You for sure don't want to prune them back hard......in fact, I'd recommend as little disruption to the climbers as possible. They should come away from their current support system relatively easily and I would just leave them in place in a mound while the fence is being rebuilt. Once the fence is back, re-hang the cimbers as best you can.......draping over the fence is a good way to encourage their reattachment. I'd suggest fishing line if you need something more secure.

The advantitious roots will appear from anywhere on the stem. Oddly, they seem to be most plentiful where the stems come into contact with something they can attach to - like the fence :-) You shouldn't have any worries.

You can of course cut the plants back if you wish. It will set back growth and flowering for at least a season or two, perhaps more. And you don't want to cut back into significant diameter wood.

o
RE: detaching a climbing hydrangea

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 14:10

Put wood chips over the root zones to protect against trampling and compaction of the soil. You may also have to wrap the basal stems to keep the bark from being scraped off by boots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here